Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair

Lil Johny

Sep 2, 2019
FIXED! Thank you for the diagrams etc. I was able to determine it was indeed my Toroidal transformer. I was able to buy one from Mouser Electronics, part# 553-VPT48-5200 which is 112mm in diameter and has a power rating of 250VA. It fits fine by moving it a little bit. Chair now works!
Thanks. Your post got me to repair my chair in only the time it took to ship the transformer and install it.
A couple hours labor because I fumbled around with the instructions instead of just doing it
Thanks again.

mfoster7

Sep 17, 2019
Hey folks. As with some of you, my PHP 2026 chair appeared to give up the ghost with symptoms exactly as Desertrider described in the very first post here.

My chair is over 13 years old, and I had just paid a local upholsterer over $700 to repair all the vinyl parts that the mechanical wheels had beaten through over the years. (It was a lot of damage. So much so that there was no way to continue using the chair for any type of massage.)

Literally less than two weeks later, nothing on the chair continued to work except the seat vibration... (ugh!).

I stumbled across this post. (First many thanks to Desertrider for his initial post and to Kevin for following up several times with very helpful information - not the least of which was locating a Toroidal Transformer distributor in the U.S. without needing to have the replacement part built in China.)

Anyway, I bought the specific transformer Kevin provided a link to (about $72 after tax & shipping). I was admittedly a bit nervous purchasing it because even though all other specs on this part were in line with Desertrider's recommendations, there was one that didn't match. He emphasized the need for the transformer's outside diameter to 96.5mm or less ("must be..." he wrote).

The one Kevin recommends is 112mm. When I measured the chassis that holds my original Toroidal Transformer, it didn't look like it would fit. Kevin said his fit fine by moving it around a bit. I wasn't confident, but decided it was either try that or look for a rebuild out of China.

Well, good news is that it does fit. Somewhat tighter, but I was still able to get it in without really moving anything around and with the cover still relatively comfortably covering the chassis.

So for anyone else needing this transformer, despite its diameter, it does fit.

And, btw, my chair is working now.

The other thing I want to mention are a couple files Kevin kindly provided. The first (attached) is called "hook.pdf". As part of the "I'm not an electrician" club, I was of course concerned about connecting the wrong wires and frying something in the chassis. Or burning my home down.

The pics Keven provided in that file may need a bit of clarification simply because close-in pics and reflecting light from snapshots can look confusing.

The original Toroidal Transformer that comes with the PHP 2026/2027 has 6 wires:

1 white
1 black
2 yellow
2 blue

The Toroidal Transformer that Kevin recommended has 8 wires:

1 purple
1 blue
1 gray
1 brown
1 red
1 black
1 orange
1 yellow

Great... o_O

So to piece this all together (and before you start snipping the original transformer wires on your chair), if the pics aren't quite clear, below is how the wires match up. At least this is how I did it, and the chair works.

However, before you start snipping plastic ties in the chassis that bundle wires together (for the purpose of you being able to follow specific wires from start to end), in order to re-bundle all those SAME wires together when done, I used simple trash can ties as TEMPORARIES to loosely bundle those very same wires to let me know which wires to re-bundle together when done. Then once done, I used new, real plastic ties (a couple dollars at Walmart) to bundle the wires tight, the exact same way as they were originally, and got rid of the temporaries.

Perhaps the above wire bundling steps above aren't necessary. Certainly not for those with a little experience doing electrical work. But for me the non-electrician, I wanted to restore everything in the chassis to at least close to how it was before I got involved, except with - of course - a new transformer.

Ok, so the blue & purple wires from the new Toroidal Transformer go with the black that the original was attached to, as per p. 1 of the first attached file (again, provided by Kevin). So three wires total reconnect there.

The gray & brown wires go with the white, as per p. 1 of the same file. Again, three wires connect.

The red wire goes with the yellow as shown in the second attached pic. Follow that wire from its connection point back to the transformer.

The black wire goes with the other yellow as shown in the second attached pic. There are a few yellow wires inside the chassis, so you'll need to carefully follow those wires back to the original Toroidal Transformer so you actually cut the correct wire before reconnecting to the new Toroidal Transformer.

The orange wire connects to the blue wire closest to it. (I'm not sure it matters which blue wire it connects to since they both apparently carry the same voltage. But that's how I did it.)

The yellow wire connects to the other blue wire closest to it.

Then I tested the functionality of the chair before I reassembled everything else (that is, before I screwed the chassis back in place, put the chassis cover back on, put the arm rests back on, etc.)

Once I verified it all worked, I then did the rest of the re-assembly.

Hope some of that is helpful. (And again, many thanks to Desertrider and Kevin who provided the helpful information!)

Attachments

• hook.pdf
    477 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180121_132445.jpg
    IMG_20180121_132445.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
Good deal MFoster7. So glad we all could help! It's amazing how many of us have the same chair and can continue to help.

MGV

Oct 16, 2019
Can anyone help me find a broken metal part of a Premium massage chair or to contact the seller? Thank you

goswald

Feb 11, 2019
Can you tell me where I can get a control panel for a Premier PHP 2026 massage chair?

JMPchair

Nov 24, 2019
A big thanks to all who posted here. I to was able to repair my Premier Health Products PHP 2026 message chair with the information provided. The chair had been sitting in the corner for almost two years. When I found that Premier Health Products was out of business I began contemplating what to do with it. A quick GOOGLE search led me here (ain't the internet great!!!!).
A few notes regarding my repair effort:
1. I purchased the Mouser Electronics 553-VPT48-5200 transformer. The Chinese company noted above (by desertrider) did respond to my email request to have a custom transformer built. I decided to go with Mouser.
2. I found that, in order to center the transformer retainer bolt, I had to move the electronic "device" located immediately adjacent to the transformer.
3. I unscrewed the "device" from the chassis and, without disconnecting it, was able to drill two new mounting holes in the base such that when reinstall it fit snugly next to the transformer (very much like the original design).
4. Having done this I was able to reinstall the cover with no problem (hopefully my PDF upload will attach).

Again, thanks to all who posted here. My PHP 2026 worked well for many years. It is still in excellent condition and I really hated the thought of tossing it out (or advertising it for parts). I'm hoping it will provide many more years of relaxation.

Jerome P

Attachments

• PHP 2026 Chair, Transformer Repair.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 42

selfaware

Aug 23, 2020
Hi, I have a PHP 2026 Massage Chair with less than 30 hours - back in 2019 I installed an OEM transformer, which I purchased from Eric Henderson of elite massage chair, which appears to no longer be in business and it worked like new - now I've developed the following issues:

When I choose the "relax" program, which is suppose to last 10 minutes, it ends at 6 minutes.

when I choose the "fitness" program, the back rest doesn't recline - the program just starts
while in the upright position.
When I choose the "vigor" program, the back rest doesn't recline, it doesn't scan the body and the program just starts?

Note: when I choose the "relax" program, the chair does recline.

All of the functions seems to work fine - something's up with program execution.

I've also noticed that when I'm in program mode, I can't operate the legs - moving up or down?

ez0618

Sep 11, 2020
Hi Desert Rider. I have a PHP2027 and it powers up, but when you press any button on the remote, all I hear is a clicking sound in the control boxes. That tells me the signal from the remote to the controller is working but the controller is not relaying that signal to the chair.

User2

Sep 20, 2020
Hopefully this thread is still being monitored. Have a PHP 2026 massage chair, issue is with remote. The LCD screen was smashed by previous owner making it unreadable. Understand manufacture no longer exists; therefore, possible to purchase a used remote, or leads on obtaining a replacement LCD screen? Appreciate any suggestions/ideas. Thanks.

Bruce Cascadden

Jan 9, 2021
thanks for all this info!!!! bought the part and fixed the chair!!!
Hey folks. As with some of you, my PHP 2026 chair appeared to give up the ghost with symptoms exactly as Desertrider described in the very first post here.

My chair is over 13 years old, and I had just paid a local upholsterer over $700 to repair all the vinyl parts that the mechanical wheels had beaten through over the years. (It was a lot of damage. So much so that there was no way to continue using the chair for any type of massage.)

Literally less than two weeks later, nothing on the chair continued to work except the seat vibration... (ugh!).

I stumbled across this post. (First many thanks to Desertrider for his initial post and to Kevin for following up several times with very helpful information - not the least of which was locating a Toroidal Transformer distributor in the U.S. without needing to have the replacement part built in China.)

Anyway, I bought the specific transformer Kevin provided a link to (about $72 after tax & shipping). I was admittedly a bit nervous purchasing it because even though all other specs on this part were in line with Desertrider's recommendations, there was one that didn't match. He emphasized the need for the transformer's outside diameter to 96.5mm or less ("must be..." he wrote).

The one Kevin recommends is 112mm. When I measured the chassis that holds my original Toroidal Transformer, it didn't look like it would fit. Kevin said his fit fine by moving it around a bit. I wasn't confident, but decided it was either try that or look for a rebuild out of China.

Well, good news is that it does fit. Somewhat tighter, but I was still able to get it in without really moving anything around and with the cover still relatively comfortably covering the chassis.

So for anyone else needing this transformer, despite its diameter, it does fit.

And, btw, my chair is working now.

The other thing I want to mention are a couple files Kevin kindly provided. The first (attached) is called "hook.pdf". As part of the "I'm not an electrician" club, I was of course concerned about connecting the wrong wires and frying something in the chassis. Or burning my home down.

The pics Keven provided in that file may need a bit of clarification simply because close-in pics and reflecting light from snapshots can look confusing.

The original Toroidal Transformer that comes with the PHP 2026/2027 has 6 wires:

1 white
1 black
2 yellow
2 blue

The Toroidal Transformer that Kevin recommended has 8 wires:

1 purple
1 blue
1 gray
1 brown
1 red
1 black
1 orange
1 yellow

Great... o_O

So to piece this all together (and before you start snipping the original transformer wires on your chair), if the pics aren't quite clear, below is how the wires match up. At least this is how I did it, and the chair works.

However, before you start snipping plastic ties in the chassis that bundle wires together (for the purpose of you being able to follow specific wires from start to end), in order to re-bundle all those SAME wires together when done, I used simple trash can ties as TEMPORARIES to loosely bundle those very same wires to let me know which wires to re-bundle together when done. Then once done, I used new, real plastic ties (a couple dollars at Walmart) to bundle the wires tight, the exact same way as they were originally, and got rid of the temporaries.

Perhaps the above wire bundling steps above aren't necessary. Certainly not for those with a little experience doing electrical work. But for me the non-electrician, I wanted to restore everything in the chassis to at least close to how it was before I got involved, except with - of course - a new transformer.

Ok, so the blue & purple wires from the new Toroidal Transformer go with the black that the original was attached to, as per p. 1 of the first attached file (again, provided by Kevin). So three wires total reconnect there.

The gray & brown wires go with the white, as per p. 1 of the same file. Again, three wires connect.

The red wire goes with the yellow as shown in the second attached pic. Follow that wire from its connection point back to the transformer.

The black wire goes with the other yellow as shown in the second attached pic. There are a few yellow wires inside the chassis, so you'll need to carefully follow those wires back to the original Toroidal Transformer so you actually cut the correct wire before reconnecting to the new Toroidal Transformer.

The orange wire connects to the blue wire closest to it. (I'm not sure it matters which blue wire it connects to since they both apparently carry the same voltage. But that's how I did it.)

The yellow wire connects to the other blue wire closest to it.

Then I tested the functionality of the chair before I reassembled everything else (that is, before I screwed the chassis back in place, put the chassis cover back on, put the arm rests back on, etc.)

Once I verified it all worked, I then did the rest of the re-assembly.

Hope some of that is helpful. (And again, many thanks to Desertrider and Kevin who provided the helpful information!)

Patchski

Dec 16, 2018
Hi all,

I have a problem where the remote works, but the display is dead. Does anyone know of this problem / remedy?

Thank You,
Joe

Shacky4

Jan 23, 2021
Just ordered the part. I suspect this chair salvaged my chair! I'll be reading it over again very closely when the part arrives!

Shacky4

Jan 23, 2021
Just finished. Chalk up another chair saved by this thread! Thank-you!

poppadaddy

Jul 19, 2021
recently bought a used php2026 air massage chair that has what appears to be an air hose coming from the foot rest ,under the seat, and seems to have come disconnected where the seat meets the back near the left armrest. since the word "air" is in the model name. and no air seems to be inflating or deflating, i assume that it needs to be reconnected. i have removed the back and searched for a possible location for it to end up, but have been unsucessful. anyone out there who knows where to attach it ? i would appreciate any help.

mfoster7

Sep 17, 2019
Your description of the problem isn't clear, but I'll take a stab at it. The chair is designed to include a small black hand-squeezed "pump" that pushes air into air chambers for the sides of your calves when using the calf massager.

That little "pump" connects to a rubber black tube which runs from the inside of the right side arm rest (right side, that is, when in sitting position), underneath the chair and connects to a connector in the middle underside of the lifted foot rest.

When connected properly, pumping up those air chambers puts a squeeze on your calves while the calf roller massages them underneath.

If that doesn't help or is confusing, it would be helpful if you can upload a picture here of the relevant parts you can see on your chair, where it is positioned, and what (if anything) appears to be missing.

Dme

Apr 30, 2019
Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair:

I have included all service manuals attached here for this chair hoping this will help someone in the future but below is the most common problem & how to dissemble, where to get part.

Most common problem is when ALL the massage chair motors e.g. recline, Kneading, Tapping, elevation no longer work - you will notice the vibration will work.

This problem is from the donut shaped Toroid / Toroidal Transformer that powers all the motors. Attached are all the service manuals and disassembly instructions along with where to buy the part.

1. The original PHP 2026 Toroidal transformer has a single primary 110V (60Hz), dual 2x 24Vac secondary TAPS @ 16AMPs or 336VA
2. OD = Outside Diameter = 96mm (3.78”) and H = Height = 74mm (2.91”)
3. Was impossible to find a US made Toroid with this OD of 96mm – the OD must be exact to fit inside the cover or fit on the main PCB – you can find one with correct voltages but it will not fit.
4. I contacted a Toroid / Toroidal China Manufacturer (they make almost all Toroid’s in China) and they will make a custom Toroid for $50USD + $29USD=$79USD
5. The China company sells Toroid / Toroidal Transformers on eBay (been around for while) and their contact is Seller information:
a. eBay = diytalent86
b. e-mail = [email protected]
c. If seller does not exist then just look for any China Toroid / Toroidal manufacturer on eBay and contact them as they will custom make this Toroid for you - expect to wait 1 month for the part as it ships from China.

Given the US is 120Vac & the preferred output is 24Vac I decided to have the new Toroid made to meet the best input / output
Here are the SPECS in having a new custom Toroid I got made for $79.00USD:
1. (1x) Single Primary INPUT = 120Vac (US Voltage) – this can be between 110Vac to 120Vac
2. US Frequency = 60Hz
3. (2x) Dual 24Vac Secondary OUTPUT – this can output between 21-24Vac
4. Approximately 300VA to 400VA – Anywhere in this range – PHP 2026 is 336VA / 16AMP
5. Toroid OD = Outside Diameter = 96.5mm (must be 96.5mm or LESS)
6. Toroid H = Height = 73 mm – must be 73mm or less
7. There are six (6) wires coming out of the PHP 2026 Toroid:
a. Primary INPUT = Black / White is 120Vac
b. 1st SECONDARY OUTPUT = Yellow / Yellow = 24Vac (about 168VA)
c. 2nd SECONDARY OUTPUT = Blue / Blue = 24Vac (about 168VA)
d. Total SECONDARY OUTPUT MAX from original Toroid is 336VA @ 24Vac (each leg is 168VA MAX * 2 = 336VA PEAK) – this chair will not use this much the that is the rating on the original Toroid.
e. Chair will probably work find with any Toroid with power output of 200VA-400VA – I had my custom made to output PEAK 330VA.
d. This is Toroid known as a single primary with dual secondary = INPUT 110/115/120, OUTPUT 24-0-24

I have included pictures showing the measurements & label on the existing PHP 2026 Toroid Transformer.

The other attached service manuals will help you with other issues with this massage chair

desertrider
Thank you so much for posting this material. Very helpful. Much appreciated.