Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing a toaster..

Hlias

Jun 30, 2012
Hi everyone.

I am new here and this is my first post. Here is the problem i am having:

I was just trying to repair my toaster - sandwich maker, which is of this type: http://bit.ly/Ng7MM4 (although not the same model as the one in the picture).

So about a week ago, the resistors just stopped heating up. Although the little indicator light turns on, the heating elements do not heat up.
So I have opened it up and have checked for any short circuit or problem with the cables but everything seems to be fine.
There is one thing that is odd and I cannot understand why this is happening:
I calculated what the resistance value of the heating elements should be, according to the specifications of the device, and it came up that it should be about 26Ohms (It is a 2kW toaster and operating @ 220-240V. The supply as I measured it read 230V).
So the thing is that I measured the resistance of each heating element without having them connected to the mains. Each one read an extremely large resistance (in the MOhm region, beyond the scope of my multimeter, so it didn't give a precise reading, just the range..). Now as soon as I connected them to the mains, the resistance of each dropped to zero according to my multimeter reading.
The toaster is still not working and I cannot understand what the resistance readings mean..
Can anyone please enlighten me?

thank you very much in advance..

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Well, if you measured the resistance with the mains connected, I would assume that your meter is toasted. Pun intended :)

First of all, never ever do resistance measurements on a live mains wire. If you have done that before, no wonder the meter is acting up.

To control the meter, put it in resistance mode and connect the probes together. If you read around zero ohm it could be that it works. If you have a resistor of some kind try and see if this is correct. If you measure resistance from one hand to the other, you should measure in the Mohm range, depending on how dry your hands are.

If this is working, It looks like you either measured the elements on an isolated place, or that they are opencircuit, or that your toaster has a fuse someplace.
I've seen both one-shot versions that needs replacement, and resetable ones that have tripped and needs a button pushed to reset them.
If you have no small red or another colour button sticking out from the underside or behind of your toaster, I suppose it is inside someplace, if there at all.

TOK ;)

Last edited:

QuantumCheese

Apr 27, 2012
Have you measured the thermostat connections, it's possibly stuck in off state?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'll second that too :eek:

You guys are cruel! It's been over 10 days since this poor guy posted this. For all we know he's a bachelor and may have starved to death by now! :rolleyes:

Seriously though... If the Ohmmeter survived being connected to the mains it'll be a small miracle.