Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing an old radiation detector.

Lupus_Vulpes

Jul 14, 2019
THAT is being one item, that you would NOT, just pick up another one of easily.
BUT if you were worrying about it, in its design application and its degree of power involvement . . . . . . it is about 1000% power overrated.
Hoping that nothing has befallen the leads/end cap connection(s) already.

nah, the unit is fine, i also had the fear of ripping the leads from the unit so i handled it with care, it's still fully functional and non-damaged.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Lupus_Vulpes . . . . .

Looking at the otherwise QUALITY build of that unit, I don't even see how those two common E-caps even got into the unit.
Not knowing what you have available as parts suppliers, I will use one that is commonly found Eurowise.
You would be wanting one of the basic 150D series of tantalum electrolytic capacitors.
But, with the military grade spec it would be in the full (-55°C to +125°C) temperature extremes ranges .

HOWEVER, should this be an AMERIKANSKI utilized device, the part initially would have to be submitted to a whole battery of reliability standards testings, qualify, to then just even being acceptable from that manufactirig source.
THEN as an incoming part, the unit part, has to be submitted to QC and product testing again as even being acceptable for use in a product build.
The built product then has to go thru QC prior to final operational testing, including a bank of thermal cooling and heating tests within a vibrational / environmental test chamber.
If finally passing functioning testing, then a final QC and another bank of testing for governmental acceptance of the built unit.

So just look at the BASIC part price below and just guess what its unit price would be if being FURTHER subjected to all of the above.

Current pricing of 150D series axial leaded Tantalum E-caps . . . . .

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...eaded/150D-Series/_/N-75hr3?P=1yzvd7xZ1z0wrjx

AND

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...0D-Series/_/N-75hr3?P=1z0wrjqZ1yzvd7xZ1yx4aw4

ASIDE . . . .

In my cache of component parts, I still have some 70 or so assorted PWEMIUM BWEWED wet tantalum slug capacitors of 50 or so years of age, that still test out as virgins, except for external AgO2 lead and case grey discoloration on the two or so, taken out of their Kraft + poly bag sealing in inert gas .
If you multiply out their current unit costs, thats now certainly being one cash cow of value.

RELATIVE COMPARISONS FOR 109/135 series . . . . . Wet Slug . . . . Tantalum capacitors. . . . . .

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...um-Capacitors-Wet/_/N-75hr5?P=1z0z819Z1z0wrkm

Thassssssssssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

A somewhat weighty ponderance, submitted for full consideration . . . . now say, that if I melted enough dry ice, could I then swim in it and not get wet ?

Last edited:

Lupus_Vulpes

Jul 14, 2019
Sir Lupus_Vulpes . . . . .

Looking at the otherwise QUALITY build of that unit, I don't even see how those two common E-caps even got into the unit.
Not knowing what you have available as parts suppliers, I will use one that is commonly found Eurowise.
You would be wanting one of the basic 150D series of tantalum electrolytic capacitors.
But, with the military grade spec it would be in the full (-55°C to +125°C) temperature extremes ranges .

HOWEVER, should this be an AMERIKANSKI utilized device, the part initially would have to be submitted to a whole battery of reliability standards testings, qualify, to then just even being acceptable from that manufactirig source.
THEN as an incoming part, the unit part, has to be submitted to QC and product testing again as even being acceptable for use in a product build.
The built product then has to go thru QC prior to final operational testing, including a bank of thermal cooling and heating tests within a vibrational / environmental test chamber.
If finally passing functioning testing, then a final QC and another bank of testing for governmental acceptance of the built unit.

So just look at the BASIC part price below and just guess what its unit price would be if being FURTHER subjected to all of the above.

Current pricing of 150D series axial leaded Tantalum E-caps . . . . .

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...eaded/150D-Series/_/N-75hr3?P=1yzvd7xZ1z0wrjx

AND

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...0D-Series/_/N-75hr3?P=1z0wrjqZ1yzvd7xZ1yx4aw4

ASIDE . . . .

In my cache of component parts, I still have some 70 or so assorted PWEMIUM BWEWED wet tantalum slug capacitors of 50 or so years of age, that still test out as virgins, except for external AgO2 lead and case grey discoloration on the two or so, taken out of their Kraft + poly bag sealing in inert gas .
If you multiply out their current unit costs, thats now certainly being one cash cow of value.

RELATIVE COMPARISONS FOR 109/135 series . . . . . Wet Slug . . . . Tantalum capacitors. . . . . .

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...um-Capacitors-Wet/_/N-75hr5?P=1z0z819Z1z0wrkm

Thassssssssssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

A somewhat weighty ponderance, submitted for full consideration . . . . now say, that if I melted enough dry ice, could I then swim in it and not get wet ?

yeah...... i was thinking about this a bit, and considering this unit most probably wont serve in any military any time soon, and i do not intend to drag it through a snowy/muddy/sandy battlefield in the arctic circle or a tropical rain-forest, and plunge it 1.5m underwater, i think i will go for the 150D hermetically sealed ones... i dont need like bazillion of them, only 4 of them, so around 30€ for the parts to replace all the capacitors is acceptable i would think... maybe throw a few more in so it exceeds 50€ and i get free shipping (more stuff, same price)

Lupus_Vulpes

Jul 14, 2019
Also, the Siemens one is not electrolytic, it's a MKL (Metallized Lacquer Film Capacitor).
"Self-healing tubular capacitor winding with cellulose acetate dielectric. Enclosed in tubular metal case, shrunk sleeve insulated, epoxy resin sealed face ends. Central axial leads."