Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing broken cable pls help - pc xbox 360 controller

Ronaldinho

Sep 6, 2020
Hi I have had this pc xbox controller for many years (no warranty).

I been using it regularly lately.

FAULTS

1. There was a minor fault which was not a huge issue but it always captured my attention.

The controller would always toggle to the left (only once) when entering menu screens or other types of still screens where you have to select whichever gaming mode you want to select or other.
After it does this i would just continue to use as normal. This problem did not interfer with active gaming.

2. Now the other problem was the cable was ripped around the top area of controller.

Sometimes the controller would disconnect from the pc but i just tried not moving the wire so much. I was able to game still.

The cable has been in this ripped state for some months gradually getting a little worse. I think it would definetly have got to a point where it would not function because of the cable.

REPAIR

So i watched some videos on repairing and soldering etc

Im new to soldering but i decided to have a go.

After watching a few cable repair videos i had an idea on what to try.

The idea was to just cut off the broken part of the cable. Then strip a short area of the end, expose the seperate coloured wires and add some solder to them.

Then open the controller and take off the cable that has been soldered to the circuit board.

I do not have a multimeter because i never knew how to use one. I was thinking of getting myself one and trying to learn.

So after i tried repairing the cable, i think i might have burnt the circuit board but i am not sure if this is true or not. You will be able to see this in the picture. I am also thinking maybe it is not burnt and maybe it is just part of the solder?

Let me try and add some photos

Ronaldinho

Sep 6, 2020
If i was to insert and solder these 4 into the circuit board holes should the controller work after?

When i tried there was no luck.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Appears the board has suffered heat damage.

Can you show the "after soldered" photo..??

Ronaldinho

Sep 6, 2020
Would it be possible to see if the board is still alive from a multimeter? I just would not know where to connect the probes to.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hi yes that is the latest photo. I made sure it was the latest.

In #3 above you said you had soldered the wires back into the board but it did not work.....???????????

Anyhow, one thing further you can do is cut back the lead further back than where the dog has chewed it, as it is likely the wires inside are broken.

Ronaldinho

Sep 6, 2020
"In #3 above you said you had soldered the wires back into the board but it did not work.....???????????" - I might try this again and see if the green light will flash.

How far back do i cut the sheath of the lead tho? I really believe the core wires are all in contact (by the way i don't own a dog lol.).

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
cut the lead completely off maybe 25mm behind where the (cat then) chewed it and redo termination.
If you can get access to the other end you can test each conductor for continuity with a multimeter.

Ronaldinho

Sep 6, 2020
If you can get access to the other end you can test each conductor for continuity with a multimeter - Id need help with this.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
DBAC122C-460F-4C7B-9550-75B6FAC9C0D9.png

Simply touch both ends of each wire. The bulb will light if the wire is ok.
Or buy a cheap multimeter.

Martin