Maker Pro
Maker Pro

repairing electric fireplace

unmakingyou

Feb 10, 2024
Hi there
I am trying to repair an electric fireplace, however I'm new to this topic. I have already checked the thermal fuse and the thermal switch and they both seem to be ok. The fireplace has an "open door" detector, meaning it is supposed to switch off if it detects a window or door is open. I think this is achieved by means of the NTC thermistor that is mounted inside, I have attached an image of the back and front of the thermistor board, and of the main circuit board, and the thermal fuse/switch. the problem is I don't know how to check if the thermistor is ok, I don't have a spec for it and I don't think there is anything on the board that gives me this information?

the issue with the electric fire is that it is not turning on at all. the continuity of the plug, the thermal fuse and thermal switch all seem ok, i checked those with a multimeter.

any help is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_2991 Small.jpeg
    IMG_2991 Small.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2989 Small.jpeg
    IMG_2989 Small.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2992 Small.jpeg
    IMG_2992 Small.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2993 Small.jpeg
    IMG_2993 Small.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 8

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The NTC sensor is a diode (or zener) and can be tested using your diode function on a test meter. It's probably just fine.

That said, for a 'simple' fire it has an awful lot of electronics and suspiciously a potential SMPS circuit which is notorious for capacitor failure. Post close up, detailed pictures of the main board.

unmakingyou

Feb 10, 2024
thanks a lot for the info, I thought initially it was a diode but I was expecting a stripe at one end (it's in the middle). I'm going to test it. In the meantime here is a close up of the board, let me know If any other details or extra photos would be helpful, the heater is only one year old.

Attachments

• IMG_2940 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2940 Large.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2938 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2938 Large.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 7

unmakingyou

Feb 10, 2024
The NTC sensor is a diode (or zener) and can be tested using your diode function on a test meter. It's probably just fine.

That said, for a 'simple' fire it has an awful lot of electronics and suspiciously a potential SMPS circuit which is notorious for capacitor failure. Post close up, detailed pictures of the main board.
thank you! i just realised the "reply" feature. i added the extra photos.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The device (square) with the yellow tape around is the transformer associated with the switching function of the system that generates the actual control voltages for the unit. There is a 7-pin IC (marked IC1)under it that is a potential culprit but you should test for the +5V signal at the connector top left (white, 5-pin, black wires). Measure between the +5V and GND wires.

unmakingyou

Feb 10, 2024
The device (square) with the yellow tape around is the transformer associated with the switching function of the system that generates the actual control voltages for the unit. There is a 7-pin IC (marked IC1)under it that is a potential culprit but you should test for the +5V signal at the connector top left (white, 5-pin, black wires). Measure between the +5V and GND wires.
oh true! well spotted, thanks a lot, I've ordered a replacement IC, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.