Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing power supply circuit in American Audio VMS4

mrmaster

Oct 27, 2013
Hey folks,

my first post here - I hope I'm in the right place: So I am repairing a DJ Controller that I found online and I would need some help in determining which parts I should exchange and which replacement parts i should get. AS far as I can tell (from the pictures) I would want to replace the large capacitor, the burned through capacitor, the Diode (M4) and the small IC chip that says PCN on top. Now, I know - or at least I'm pretty sure - what components these are, but I would need some help in determining which exactly I should get. Obviously for the large capacitor I'm just gonna get one of the same type again, but with the small one I really can't tell what value I'd need. Also, I am unsure about that IC with the PCN label. What exactly should I be looking for there?

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5_1JDxfwnDoNUtHRk45cFdRc2c/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5_1JDxfwnDoWWRWUFdGSjVvTDA/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you very much, appreciate it!

mrmaster

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi mrmaster

welcome to the forums

there's an error message coming up blanking out your pics saying file unavailable

cheers
Dave

mrmaster

Oct 27, 2013
oh I'm sorry, here they are - this time I uploaded them directly...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 739
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 771

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi mrmaster,

The M4 are standard 1N4004 diodes in SMD package, easy to get
THE PCN is certainly a voltage regulator but PCN marking also stand for Product Change Notification, a notice attached to many semiconductor's, who making the part identification via google harder. This kind of regulator have many cross reference, so if you measure what voltage is coming out on a working product or get the service manual it will be nice. Looks fixable at first, you also have to add a decoupling cap above the PCB burning hole, can be a thru hole version.

regards,

Olivier

MasterMAUL

Apr 2, 2022
hi. i have a VMS 4.1 and one day my partner switched it on, it popped and has never powered up again.

Prior to this the USB cable stopped powering the unit. can anyone help me repair this cool bit of kit. i have a vot meter, solder gun and patientce if anyones will to tutorial me with its replair..

I miiss the old girl purring my tunes out..