Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replace old transformer with rectifier bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
i have this pc speaker with failure Transformer that i want to fix
so how about replacing the Transformer with rectifier bridge that give me 12V DC
is it possible and if it's what piece should i use

DSC_1199.jpg

DSC_1198.jpg

DSC_1200.jpg

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
That board apparently already has a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) on it. A transformer is a completely different animal. If the one you show has failed you will need to replace it with a similarly (or more generously) rated one, or a suitably rated wall-wart (mains to low DC voltage adapter). Either way requires the transformer output voltage to be known or deduced.
What are the markings on the 8-pin IC and the big fat capacitor?

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
DSC_11991.jpg

and the capacitor is 2200uf , 16V

so if it's not possible to get another transformer what can i do to fix it?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You might find that there is a thermal fuse fitted against the transformer windings. Look for a 'bulge' under the tape and, working carefully so you don't cut any of the winding wires, you might be able to get the fuse out and replace it.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If the transformer fix fails the 12v Wall-Wart method just needs the two 12v leads in and soldered at the bridge output.
Also cheap.
M.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It might be time for a PC speaker upgrade with a new amp in them. I could see that burning up the transformer just trying to get more sound out of it since it is only capable of about 1W with a tail-wind. They say it's the first watt that counts but that one, THD high to get that far.

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
You might find that there is a thermal fuse fitted against the transformer windings. Look for a 'bulge' under the tape and, working carefully so you don't cut any of the winding wires, you might be able to get the fuse out and replace it.

the winding wires already cut

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
can you explain
The Wall Wart usually comes with a barrel connector, snip it off and solder the two ends, 12vdc, to the plus and minus output of the 4 diodes used as a bridge on the previous transformer output.
M.

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
so there's no electronic piece can replace the transformer?
what about the circuit that doesn't have any transformers and convert 220 VAC to 12 VDC???

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ Finding exactly the right size replacement transformer that will solder onto the space on the PCB could take a very long time and you may never find it, and it may be very expensive including shipping, compared to the low value of the speaker amp.

12VDC output AC/DC wall adapters on the other hand, are very common and inexpensive, and typically it is easy to find some rated for 1A which is probably higher current rating than that tiny original transformer was capable of, which is why I suspect it overheated and failed in the first place.

There is no reasonable/safe way to convert 220VAC to 12VDC without a transformer. This is a pretty simple repair, why are you wasting time questioning people who realize how to fix this with minimal time and expense, since it is about the cheapest, crudest low end speaker amp possible? It really is not worth great time or expense to fix this.

As Minder mentioned, you should solder the wires from an AC-DC 12V adapter to the PCB. The positive lead wire from the adapter would be soldered to the hole labeled "P9" on the PCB and the negative lead to the hole labeled "P10". If you prefer you could keep the barrel plug on the AC/DC adapter and buy a barrel socket to mount on the speaker cabinet, then solder wiring from P9 and P10 to the respective terminals on the barrel socket, but I question whether this amp is worth buying any more parts for than absolutely necessary.

Note that you don't necessarily even need to use an AC/DC adapter. If it is a desktop computer so it has a source of 12VDC, you could just power this amp board from that, just get a $1 connector for the PSU 4 pin molex plug and solder that to the amp P9 and P10, maybe needing to add a piece of wire to extend the length.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what about the circuit that doesn't have any transformers and convert 220 VAC to 12 VDC???

pharaon, I'm going to repeat what Dave9 said so that hopefully it sinks in :) :)

""Finding exactly the right size replacement transformer that will solder onto the space on the PCB could take a very long time and you may never find it, and it may be very expensive including shipping, compared to the low value of the speaker amp.

12VDC output AC/DC wall adapters on the other hand, are very common and inexpensive, and typically it is easy to find some rated for 1A which is probably higher current rating than that tiny original transformer was capable of, which is why I suspect it overheated and failed in the first place.

There is no reasonable/safe way to convert 220VAC to 12VDC without a transformer. This is a pretty simple repair, why are you wasting time questioning people who realize how to fix this with minimal time and expense, since it is about the cheapest, crudest low end speaker amp possible? It really is not worth great time or expense to fix this.""

Dave

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
i like to learn that's why i ask about other ways

i think i can use
X-Rated Capacitor to get 12 dc V

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ I recommend pursing your mad scientist experiments using a much lower voltage than 220VAC mains, but first fixing the amp the way we suggested so you have music like Franz Reichelt's video does:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
what about this 230 v ac to 12vdc without transformer
If you value your life, or the lives of others, DON'T USE IT!! It has no mains isolation, so anything powered by it could float at mains potential and be LETHAL.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015

Technically speaking, equipment that does not use a transformer or safety earth ground conductor is constructed by being 'Double Insulated' for safety reasons.
The reason is the circuit is at the same potential as the incoming mains service in spite of dropping the circuit voltage to 12v..
Pretty much what others have said.
M.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
on the wise advice from 3 of us

the thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.