Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacement LED for Guitar Effects Pedal (Ibanez Tone-Lok CF7)

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
Hi,

The LED in my Ibanez Tone-Lok CF7 guitar effects pedal does not light up when the pedal is engaged (the pedal functions normally otherwise). I have taken the pedal apart with the intention of replacing the LED and did a search online for effects pedal LEDs to see if I could match it by looks but I haven't found anything that really resembles the one in the pedal.

Can I replace the LED with any LED that looks close to what I have or do I need a specific replacement?

I have attached a link to a photo of the LED circuit section (I tried uploading but got an error message)...

LED Photo 2.jpg (hopefully this link works.

CF7 LED Photo 2 cropped.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Moderators note : rescaled and cropped image, put image inline

Last edited by a moderator:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, you can pretty much replace it with any LED.
But, it would be a good idea to locate it’s current limiting resistor close to it.
I would just solder a new red one in. Not the clear type though.
Have you got a multimeter?

Martin

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Why do you think an ordinary red LED cannot replace it? An LED has polarity so it must be connected "the correct way around".

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you have diode function on your meter, you can test the LED.

upload_2021-3-26_21-54-55.png

Martin

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
You can also use the multimeter to see if any voltage is reaching the LED with the pedal turned on. That will save you from unsoldering the LED and buying a new one if it turns out the problem isn't the LED itself.

If you do need to replace it, you can use any red LED, but finding one the same size and shape will make it look more original. Not many LEDs are flat on top like that, most are domed. What's the LED's diameter? 3mm and 5mm are the most common sizes.

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
My multimeter does not seem to have that mode. Thanks though. Very helpful info. I should mention that I am a complete novice at this stuff.

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
Hi
here is a link to a photo of my meter, (hopefully the link works)...

Mergz Multimeter resize.jpg

Moderators note : resized image and inserted inline.
@Mergz , resize the images to about 300 kB and you can upload them to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Your photo shows it with its switch already set to "diode test". If the diode is "the correct way around" then its anode is the red meter lead and the cathode is its black meter lead. It will show the "forward voltage" of a diode and hopefully for an LED.

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
Your photo shows it with its switch already set to "diode test". If the diode is "the correct way around" then its anode is the red meter lead and the cathode is its black meter lead. It will show the "forward voltage" of a diode and hopefully for an LED.

Ok. Thanks! So I just use my soldering iron to "de-solder the LED from the module then gently pull it out, right, then do the test with the multimeter, right?

I really appreciate all the help. thanks for taking the time to help a newbie with such a trivial thing.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You can test the LED with only one of its wires disconnected from the circuit. Heat the solder joint then lean the LED away from it for one wire to be disconnected.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
An added note here that is not usual for an indicator LED such as this to actually fail.
The voltage test mentioned earlier is much less invasive.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
It is a good idea to measure the voltage fed to the LED when it should be turned on.

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
It is a good idea to measure the voltage fed to the LED when it should be turned on.

Ok ,. I'm not sure how to do that. I know kpatz said what to do but do I put the pedal back together? Where do I place the meter leads to test voltage?

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
An added note here that is not usual for an indicator LED such as this to actually fail..

About 20 years ago, something happened to it, I forget if liquid was spilled on it or cats peed on it, but something happened and I dried it out and it worked except for the LED. I set it aside and recently took it off the shelf to tinker with it.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You should be able to simply put your meter probes on the LED while in diode mode. The LED should illuminate. If not, reverse the probes and try again.
This can be done without de-soldering anything. Just try it.

Martin

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Whether the led will light depends on the used current and voltage for the diode test.
Many use a tiny current.

Bertus

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
You should be able to simply put your meter probes on the LED while in diode mode. The LED should illuminate. If not, reverse the probes and try again.
This can be done without de-soldering anything. Just try it.

Martin
Ok. I did that quickly last night, it did not light. I'll try again today to make sure. Thanks!

Mergz

Mar 26, 2021
Hi,
Here is a link to a short video of my attempt at the voltage test. I hope I did it right...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196Q6TwjztOX2wkFppsN6QrveWKX59rnK/view?usp=sharing

a. The LED did not light up.
b. I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this.
c. I did try putting one lead on each of those solder points (in case that is the proper way) but it produced no reading. The meter just stayed at "1" which seems to be the default reading when I switch it on.