Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing a gen-set voltage regulator with generic AVR

ldcarter

Nov 20, 2016
I began this journey in the Datasheets, Schematics, Manual and Parts Forum trying to identify a diode "T3J81 (Zener Diode ?). After many great suggestions and hints, I have found that this part is thus far impossible to identify and I may be headed for a dead end on this particular voltage regulator. The gen-set I am attempting to bring back to life is a Dayton W4W113 (7500 watt, 110/220v, single phase), it has a Briggs 18hp 2 cylinder engine with a Winco alternator and a Generac 59459 voltage regulator. This voltage regulator is attached to the receptacle panel and not to the alternator as most newer ones.

What I am wondering and perhaps someone has done is to buy an off the shelf 7500 watt AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) and attach it to the panel. If this is feasible I plan to buy a 6 wire AVR (2 wires for the brushes, 2 for the excitation, and 2 for the power) and wire it appropriately.

Is this a viable solution? Anyone here ever done this?

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
Hey Idcarter!

Not sure what your time is worth with respect to this generator, but my first thought would be to contact Dayton/Graingers about a replacement module. Assuming you have done this and were unable to procure one; I would suggest you attempt to find a relatively local repair shop and go visit them ..... don't haul your generator in and ask them to troubleshoot it for you and don't call them on the phone (nobody wants to play 50 questions on the phone) ... just "drop in" and take a look around. With luck there won't be a clerk, just a mechanic and perhaps a 'helper' regardless, someone will ask what they can help you with. Tell them you just noticed their sign and were curious if they worked on generators .... Assuming they do, briefly explain your situation and ask them if they think an "AVR" module would solve your problem .... If they feel confident it might solve your problem, and they have one of the modules on hand, purchase it from them (even if it cost you a few dollars extra) .... Small price to pay < IMHO > for professional experience//advice//help. If you are near a Northern Tool or some other major chain store, they frequently have one or two staff members who are quite knowledgeable (and a whole bunch that couldn't identify a hammer, LoL), a bit of social engineering and a good attitude will frequently lead you to an "expert" and yield priceless information ;-)

At the end of the day, consumer-class 7.5kW gasoline generators are not very expensive, robust or reliable .... Don't know anything about the particular model in question, but locally 6.5kW to 7.5kW consumer class generators run $400 to $500 new. I wouldn't spend a lot of time//effort working on one.

Fish

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Your probably on the wrong Forum for that information. Go to Smokestack forum & go to the Generator section then Sears-Generac section. Theres a very cluey guy Bassplayer there that is good with Generac type AVRs.

ldcarter

Nov 20, 2016
My problem is I hate to not be able to get something to work. You are right about what it is worth. This is an industrial model and maybe worth just a little more, but not much. Bought a Honda for $80.00 and this was thrown in for free. Fixed and sold the Honda for a small profit (retired, so I do this to make a little extra spending money). Figured for the price of a generic AVR, if it's feasible try it. It doesn't work as is, and if replacing the AVR destroys the alternator portion, I can still sell the 2 cylinder engine.

Would like to find someone who did this and perhaps ask for their expertise or even their warning to not do this. I have spent numerous hours trying to find out anything on this gen-set with no luck other than a wiring diagram on partstree. I did test the rotor and excitation windings by cranking the engine and checking the excitation voltage (5v AC), then applied 12v DC to the rotor and the excitation voltage jumped to 104v AC. Was steered to this tip by one of the members on this forum.

All the tests I have performed leads to the conclusion that the voltage regulator is at fault. Unfortunately this part and even some of it components are not available.

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
Idcarter,

I understand the stubborn desire to make it work, but you would likely be $$ ahead to sell the 18HP motor and carry the generator to the scrap yard. You might actually get more for the motor w/o the generator if it is suitable for go-carts, LoL ...or mount a pressure-washer pump to it :)

Fish

ldcarter

Nov 20, 2016
Fish, you're right there is no good reason to pursue this. Probably the way I was brought up, while it's a blessing in some ways, it can be a curse. Usually though in my pursuits I learn something that helps later and meet good people such as yourself. I have thrown in the towel on more than a few occasions and usually still came out the better for it. I must admit on this project the towel is not that far away.

But not yet !!!!