Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing a Panasonic camera's NiMH cells with Li-ion cells

lodevaduh

Jan 10, 2010
Hi forum!

I just pulled out my *now* old camera (Panasonic PV-L452D), and realized that its heavy, old school NiMH battery may be kaput (I'm charging it with my fingers crossed). But then I got the idea: is it possible to open up the battery, and instead of replacing the old NiMH cells with new NiMH ones, why not find the same voltage of Lithium ion cells and stick em in there (keeping the voltage and miliamps the same of course)?

I realized that the charger might not like Li-ion cells, though! Maybe even the camera wouldn't realy like it, either. But I saw some circuits online for making adjustable Lithium-ion chargers, so I'm just being kinda imaginative right now. But in reality, would replacing the NiMH cells with Li-ion ones really make that much of a difference from getting a new NiMH battery with a higher capacity?

If this is possible then I thought it would bea fun project to do, so thanks for listening!

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
DO NOT DO IT.

You can not replace a NiMH with a LiIon. The charging algorithms are very different. If you do what you are thinking of doing, you will either end up not charging the battery at all or you will end up starting a fire or causing an explosion. One of these three outcomes is a virtual certainty.

---55p