Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing alarm keypad

jim shapka

Mar 14, 2017
Have and mid 70"s Contronic Model 2124 alarm system and the entry key pad is pooched. Don't want to splurge for a new one yet, that is if I can find a replacement keypad. Any suggestions.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Try buying a used alarm system of the same type, possibly one where the keypad is o.k. but anoterh part is defect. Then swap parts as required.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Can you adapt the keypad off an old phone or other gizmo?

jim shapka

Mar 14, 2017
I have been looking, but as of yet I have had no luck, but thanks for the info. I'm thinking that the keypad is item specific and generic keypads won't work. I'll just keep looking for a used Contronic system.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Jim, I got into the alarm industry in the mid-70's and I'm pretty sure I don't recall ever seeing a Contronic control panel or keypad. I've worked on just about every professional-grade alarm panel other than that.

In the mid-70's, keypads for alarm systems were relatively new, at least in North America. I'm guessing your keypad is linked to your control panel by between 9 and 12 wires--multiplex keypads didn't come along until sometime in the 80's, at least in the panels I'm familiar with.

Do you have the installation manual for your system? If you're lucky, your panel has a provision for a "key station" option, which used a physical key to turn a physical lock mechanically linked to an electronic switch. Most panels of that day--again, the ones that I remember--had that feature, because key switches were still widely used.

There are generic keypads that can replace any of the older key stations of the older alarm systems. In particular, the Ademco 216 Adapter supports up to four Ademco Model 215 keypads for any panel that can be armed/disarmed by a momentary keyswitch (Normally Open, goes closed momentarily to toggle armed/disarmed).

The 216 and 215(s) are out of production now, but can be found on eBay most of the time--if you can't find them, I'm pretty sure I have some stashed away somewhere that I can find if you need. Your keypads have a limited lifetime--the keys are moving parts and the key contacts eventually wear out. If you have more than one, the others are living on borrowed time. I'd recommend replacing all of them, or at least buying the replacement part(s) if/when you find a suitable replacement. Any replacements will have a limited time too, but once-popular keypads 215 will be available for years to come. There seem to be a lot of old techs like me who never threw anything away.

jim shapka

Mar 14, 2017
Thank you for the wealth of info,It is not a keyed system nor a monitored system just a stand alone. I hate to throw anything out but would rather fix (old school). There is just one keypad at the front door. I had a feeling that there must be something generic out there that I could adapt because of the age of the system.Yes there is 8 wires going to the keypad with 2 of the 8 wired to a push button switch with enables the motion sensors in the house.The keypad also had 2 leds, one red and one green to show the status of the system. I am lucky enough to have the original manual for the system. In the manual it does not state which remote keypad must be used with the system, but it does show where to connect the wires in the main box,.Above the main circuit board there is a mini circuit board where 5 wires are used for your code sequence.
Again thank you very much for the info and your help. I will see if I can hunt down info on the Ademco pads to see if they could be used for my system.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
There's a good chance the Ademco 216 & 215 can be used with your system. I can't say for sure without being able to examine your equipment, but I'd guess that the mini-PCB above your control panel is the adapter/interface between your panel and keypad. I would also guess that it's capable of supporting more than the one keypad you have, but that's beside the point.

Just FYI, the 215 display is one red LED with 4 modes: Dark (Not ready to arm, _or_ system inactive), slow blink (disarmed, ready to arm), solid/steady light (Armed), rapid blinking (system in alarm). As with your current system, the code is set in the adapter with jumper wires. Code cannot be read from keypad, a weakness of some of the old generic keypads.

If you meter the connections between the mini-PCB and main panel, you will probably find a pair (pins or wires, whatever it uses) that reads some voltage that drops out momentarily when the right code is used at the keypad. That would tell you where to wire the two corresponding wires of the Ademco 216. I don't remember off the top of my head how many wires the 216 has, it might be 8, but you'd have to determine what function each of your existing wires serves, to find its corresponding wire on the 216. For example, probably one wire, "A", signals "Ready to Arm", another "B" signals "Armed", another may signal system in alarm, etc.
Also, the 216 comes in 6VDC and 12VDC (216-12) models--it matters what voltage your CP (control panel) supplies to its adapter/interface. A peculiarity of some adapters and keypads in the alarm industry is that the Red wire, usually reserved for DC Power, can be anything---sometimes the blue wire was used for keypad/adapter power, so don't make assumptions.

Wish I could be more help, but without a ;manual I'm kind'a shooting in the dark.

jim shapka

Mar 14, 2017
Again thank you for your time and interest in my dilemma, I also am shooting in the dark when it comes to electronics, just trying to muddle my way through this. In my searching around in trying to find a replacement keypad I came across the Corby 7020 which looks identical to my old one and seems to function the same according to the info sheet. I have taken a picture of the input/output schematic on my system. I don't know if it will upload but I will try. Maybe this will help you give me some options as far as a compatible keypad. Your interest and expertise is much appreciated.
Jim alarm 1.jpg alarm 1.jpg

Attachments

• Alarm 2.jpg
    Alarm 2.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 204