Maker Pro
Maker Pro

[request schematic]Smart phone on power supply

chihwah li

Nov 8, 2014
Hello all,

I tried to power my samsung note 3 on a powersupply only. But it seems that the phone electronics check if the battery is able to charge or not. With the older and smaller capacities like li-ion 1300 mAh of the Samsung S6312 it's easy to fool the electronics. You just need to attach the 3rd battery (middle connector) connector to a resistor to mimic the NTC.
But the Note 3 has 4 pins and because it checks the capibilities to charge, if it cannot it will not boot normally at all.
A one day dead battery with a voltage of 0 was revived back by connecting it to a higher voltage. This is speculation.
I cannot test because my battery is only dead for 1 day. After that I charged it to 4.4 volt. I know. According to specs, that is not a good thing to do. By attaching the li-ion to 5.5 volt I revived the battery. That is someonething I should not repeat again.

It seems the best way is to design a schematic to mimic the li-ion battery.and connect that to a power supply

I don't have the know how to do this.Can anyone give me directions how this might be done?

Last edited:

chihwah li

Nov 8, 2014
I think a electric schematic is only way. I am doubting now that connecting a power supply will let my 'dead' note 3 battery be used.
My initial idea is that the battery will be recognised and I can power the phone from power supply.
But that seems not possible, as it required a higher voltage to revive the battery. Only then the phone booted normally.....

BobbyPrice

Apr 18, 2014
It's also quite possible that your power supply cannot provide the peak currents required by the phone. I've powered a couple of old phones from power supplies, and they wouldn't boot unless they had a large capacitor across the supply. I can't remember the capacitor value I used; it may have been 2200uF

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
It's also quite possible that your power supply cannot provide the peak currents required by the phone. I've powered a couple of old phones from power supplies, and they wouldn't boot unless they had a large capacitor across the supply. I can't remember the capacitor value I used; it may have been 2200uF
Good call. It's getting pretty easy to kill a phone battery in 30-45 when doing some seriously heavy lifting with it.
That would probably work out to be at least 2A under full load.