Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Requesting Help on Prop Project

InFluEnza

Feb 6, 2011
Hello everyone!

So, I have had an interest in electronics for a long time (through things like MakeZine and their subsequent podcast), but this is the first time I am delving into actually making something. One of my hobbies is making props, whether they be original or replicas from movies and television. I figured what better way to start than make something that incorporates this.

From my childhood one of my favourite programs was a show called Sliders. Suffice to say one of the central themes was a device they used to travel between dimensions. This generally took the shape of a cellphone (remember, this was the early to mid '90s) or television remote of some kind. What I would like to do is make a replica of this prop, putting my own spin on it.

The concept for this is relatively simple. It only needs to do a few things: pick a random amount of time (days, hours, minutes, seconds) and count down to zero, randomly light up some LEDs and LED bar graphs, have a usable knob to light up more LEDs and make some sounds here and there. Although it may be designed for much more complicated and intensive things, I am considering using an Arduino unit to control all this.

Here is a basic vector sketch I made to illustrate what it will look like, while here is the remote control I will be using.

44868495.jpg

Any tips on filling the button holes I don't need with plastic?

My problem is, I have no clue where to begin. I have watched tutorials on making copper circuit boards, but I have no clue what kind of internals I need to make all this work. Any suggestions on where to start or hints on this project?

Thanks!