Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Resistance power rating for this AC dimmer circuit?

Laciecion

Nov 24, 2019
Hi everyone!
I was reading this really nice page about light dimmers when I saw this diagram for a AC dimmable led bulb dimmer and thought about giving it a try.
dim-f10a.gif

It is build around a FL5150 IC, here you can find the datasheet. My question is about the power rating needed for the resitors and voltage rating for the capacitors, I have seen it using 1206 1/4W SMD resistors but I am not sure if that is safe enough.

It would be nice if someone could help me to figure this out, hope this is not a stupid question I am getting started with electronics and learning a lot in this forum.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
1/4 W power rating is probably o.k.
Note that Rsense1 and Rsense2 need to be rated for 230 V AC or higher (at 2MΩ power dissipation will still be very low).
You'll have to observe safe isoaltion gaps between different traces/wires at high differential voltages.

I am getting started with electronics
This circuit is connected to dangerous live voltages on mains level. This is not a suitable circuit to get you started with electronics. I suggest you start with low voltage circuits, possibly battery powered or powred by a low power voltage source (e.g. a 5 V USB power supply from a charger).

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
I will add my voice to those urging extreme caution which amounts to DON'T. As advised, start with something that requires no more that 5 to 15V dc.