Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Resistance to Torque: Electric Motors

gregorylights

Mar 10, 2014
Quick Questions:

Does High Resistance in a Electric Motor result in Higher Torque in any way? Also does the wire diameter from the battery to the motor have a large impact in Resistance?

Running 13 AWG Copper Flex Wire: If I go to 10AWG Copper Flex Wire will it lower Resistance Very much:

Only running 4.2 Volts to the motor:

Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
unless the cable from the battery to the motor is many metres long going from 13 to 10 awg isn't going to make any significant difference

having thicker cables makes a difference with longer cables to 1) avoid excessive voltage drop and 2) when higher currents are being supplied/drawn by the motor or whatever other circuit

There is a relationship between voltage drop and high currents
one affects the other

Dave

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I don't think higher resistance would help at all Gregory. For a DC brushed motor. If you increase the resistance you would reduce the RPM. Torque is rotational power divided by angular velocity. Both of which would reduce with added resistance so at best with a very small increase in resistance it may stay the same, but I am no motor expert.

The wire will have an impact on the motor depending on the size difference of the wires. In your case the difference in resistance per foot is about half.
Adam