Maker Pro
Maker Pro

resistor network amplifier demo video

dragon

Oct 31, 2022

After you watch the vid, If I connect the battery I think it is MICRONICALLY louder, if I just trust my spidey senses....
So is that the difference between series and parallel?

Usually parallel wiring speakers lowers the audable level heaps over wiring speakers in series, but with this its actually micronically louder.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Yes I have plugged in a transistor before but I was wondering if there was a way without them, because the computer would be alot easier to print without them, no semi-conductor requirements would be a god send to me (And alot of other ppl.) then I could just print out an embossment on my 3d printer, whack on some carbon ink and presto product finished! Resin printers print smaller than you can see these days, but I still plan on not going below 1/4 millimetre just so i can just see a glint of it there with my naked eye, but of course I just need a bit more pre-experience before I delve into the unseeable at this stage. (maybe its not so scary going for 100 micrometres, but prob shouldnt do it on your first go thats all.)

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Success with transistor amplifiers is based on good biasing of the transistor.
A wrong bias may lead to distorted or even no sound at all.
The given book tells you all about on how to design a good amplifier.

Bertus

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
putting a voltage divider on the base looks like a good idea,I didnt actually get to that, but I did add a little current in with the music and got varying degrees of success with it. I got to kill a few transistors in the process, and I got it averagely, but maybe the voltage divider version works really good. Its also good to do that for any sensor too, because sometimes they get very dim, like a hall voltage for example is so dark the transistor base doesnt actually trigger the gate without a little help with it. (and its no good doing a darlington if even your first gate doesnt even fire!)

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The video has several problems. First is that it is so poorly drawn that it is difficult to see what the actual circuit is. Another is that it is a simulation, not an actual circuit, and you have no idea how the software implements the characteristics of the components.

Example: He says "I turn the battery off". No, he doesn't. He sets the battery voltage to 0 V, but the battery still is in the circuit. A simulation battery has zero equivalent resistance, so current from the other batteries flows through it with no affect. A real battery does not behave this way. And of course, if he disconnected the battery (ad in cut the traces), the result would be completely different.

ak

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Example: He says "I turn the battery off". No, he doesn't. He sets the battery voltage to 0 V, but the battery still is in the circuit. A simulation battery has zero equivalent resistance, so current from the other batteries flows through it with no affect. A real battery does not behave this way. And of course, if he disconnected the battery (ad in cut the traces), the result would be completely different.

ak
Good point, I forgot about that, but usually leaving the 0 powerline in circuit connection is usually worse for a machine, bad uncounted for conductions-wise, disconnecting it causes even more trojan successes than leaving it in, but yes u r correct, I forgot to reconnect the ends in the prac demo. But to be honest it really probably wouldnt have made a difference, no effect... it was, that thing I said where it was a tiny bit louder only happened once, every other time pretty much nil response. :) (so that ended up a bad thing to say)

So, there was really no amplification, not yet, but it seemed to still behave correctly (the same as simulation), I just haven't done it quite right yet... I'm going to try another go at it with different resistances and see if I can balance this thing above what it starts at, the mechanism is there, it is opening up new pathways to new power sources via resistor shorting, I still think it can work, ill be doing another lot of work tomorrow on it.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Given a constant, low-power signal source, it is entirely possible that connecting multiple speakers differently (series, parallel, etc.) will produce different levels of perceived loudness. This is an example of the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem, and has to do with matching the impedance of the source with the impedance of the load.

It is complicated by the fact that two speakers that measure identically (for example, 8 ohms) can have way different efficiencies (sound pressure level per milliwatt). But this is *not* an indication of amplification. It is an indication of overall system efficiency - less loss, not more power.

ak