Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Resistor Replacement

neil yu

Oct 21, 2016
Hello,

i have a burnt resistor on my circuit board which i cant identify the two middle color code... when inspect the circuit board, there are several resistors with the same first and last color,. so i assume that the burnt resistor is the same as the other resistor.

Now, can i replace that resistor with higher resistance ohms? the color i get from the other resistors are

Brown-Violet-Yellow-Gold which is 170k Ohms 5%... is it ok to replace this with the one with higher resistance? what Ohms can you suggest which will be good as replacement for 170k Ohms?

Thank you

Neil

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
It seems Strange that such a High Value Resistor would Burn Out.
Unless it has HIGH VOLTAGE on it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I agree with Chemelec. Resistors don't burn-up by themselves. You have some other device that failed in that
circuit, which caused excessive current through the resistor that burned-up. Replacing that resistor alone is just
going to cause your replaced resistor to burn-up again.
As for replacing the resistor, we don't know what your circuit is. If it's just some simple home electronics, or a
precision instrument of some type.
Find-out what else failed in your circuit that caused your resistor to burn-up, THEN worry about replacing it with
the equivalent, or something slightly higher.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
i have a burnt resistor on my circuit board which i cant identify the two middle color code... when inspect the circuit board, there are several resistors with the same first and last color,. so i assume that the burnt resistor is the same as the other resistor.
Why would you assume the burnt resistor is the same value as the other resistors whose color codes you can read? The two missing color-code stripes could be anything! All you really know is the first digit and the tolerance. A schematic of the circuit, with values labeled, would be useful.