Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Restoring a FOXX FUZZ-WAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
During the creation of my new lap steel, I discovered a previous project I didn't get finished for various reasons...

What I am about to embark on is a complete restoration of the original FOXX FUZZ WAH guitar accessory pedal.(while putting a new lap steel together)

It has one of those cherished "gold" boards tagged with JR4.

VERBOSE-
I found a schematic for it online, I will have to pickup a few parts like 9v battery box and a couple of On/Off buttons, but I am hoping you can help me with the wiring....
As you can see there are 6 pins on one side of the board(A, B, C, D, E, F), and 7 pins on the otherside of the board(G, H, J, K, L, M, N).
I think the first 4 pins(K, L, M, N), are the connectors to the 5-Way WAH TONE SELECTOR switch.

First question- What are the large Red-Yel-Wht-Brn block resistors on either side of the 500(I think its the "5103 TDK" on the schematic.

[mod edit ... reorientate images to be able to read them easier]

Attachments

• IMG_20170207_180806609.jpg
    IMG_20170207_180806609.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20170207_183350325.jpg
    IMG_20170207_183350325.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_20170207_183512759.jpg
    IMG_20170207_183512759.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
First question- What are the large Red-Yel-Wht-Brn block resistors on either side of the 500(I think its the "5103 TDK" on the schematic.

don't know what you are referring to ""
what 500 ?

the thing above the "5103 TDK" text on the schematic is an inductor

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Question 2- This looks like the WAH half of the Schematic, so it may not be a FUZZ-WAH, just a WAH with maybe volume. There is a brown waxed inductor with what I think are special resistors on the board..1%, 24ohm-1% I think. Are these special caps or 1% resistors ? cause they are not on the schematic...

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
The red yel wht brn blocks are 0.22μF capacitors (actually two bands of red together and see http://www.petervis.com/electronics/capacitor/capacitor-colour-code.html ) which I would guess are the two 0.22 capacitors connected to the 2 pole, 2 way selector switch.

The picture of the pcb would appear to be just the waa-waa. There are not enough components to be be both fuzz and waa-waa, and the board has the inductor (the large brown encapsulated component) shown in the schematic of the waa waa.

I think waa-waa is much more interesting than fuzz anyway! The hard bit are the mechanics, but if you just use an ordinary pot you can use it as a notch filter instead which has quite a strong effect. Either a strong treble boost, that made my cheapo guitar sound like a decent strat, or a middle or bass boost giving a very muffled rhythm guitar.

Keep on Rocking!

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Yeah I think this is a Wah Pedal, not a waa-waa. One of the things you learn when you go pro is not to call electronic things names....
This is what I have drawn up for you to compare with...
some of it doesn't seem to match the schematic...

edit: Schematic removed (see below)

Last edited by a moderator:

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
That last schematic was full of errors... heres one I traced out (pant pant)

Attachments

• WAHexp2.jpg
    WAHexp2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 214

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Try this impressive piece of web sleuth...
This is a very rare piece of musical equiment. (hence the reason I am trusting you pros with it probably) It is actually a Bass guitar Wah Pedal valued at over 200 bucks in working condition... I can't find a schematic for it, so I need someone to check out my WAHexp2.jpg file and tell me if it will work, or if it has it been altered, and how to hook up the wiring to the board. I am planning on testing it using a small factor 6 pin on/off(there are 6 holes for the switch on the board, but they are for a large factor heavy duty on/off) special thanks to TCSC47 in the UK for the help with the .22 caps. I thought they were resistors for sure, knowing they are the lead caps now, has really helped, Now I know where to put the switch terminals.

nostalgia- it was made in 1974, the start of the Disco era.

This piece of equip appears to have had a toggle switch on the side for "mellow" and "mellow plus", and a mini plug for a 110v power adapter but NO 5-WAY switch. My pedal box, has a hole for a third switch, but the original didn't have a 5 way. I am considering a bass fuzz attachment, or some other board toys to enhance the value!

I am truely excited!

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Quick note! There is no 5103 TDK on this board. It is called "The fOXX Down Machine"

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I found a schematic for the fOXX Fuzz-Wah-Octave pedal drawn by Phillip Bryant at http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com; And from it, I have deduced that the on/off switch and the 100k wah Log. are probably hooked to gether in series and plug in where the board has the a location for the switch, at the six big holes. the Pin E appears to be the input from the instrument at the tip of the cable, and Pin F is the out to the tip of the cable to the amp.
I can see the 9v battery negative, connecting to the stem of the out to the amp, and running past a 22up cap and to a 1k resistor then into the transistor on Phillips schematic, and now I see that pin D on my schematic has a 470 ohm resistor, that runs past a 220uf cap to a 1k resistor to the base of a transistor.

Is this the 9v + connection? or am I looking at the return for the 5way/ tone toggle?

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
After looking at the pedal box, and some pictures I found online, that the 9v+ has a mini plug jack for a power adapter that accomodates the 9v+ line and returns a line to what I think is Pin D and the 470ohm resistor before the 1k resistor to the transistor.
PRAY TELL, Where do the outs to the amp hook up? PIN J?

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
This I am calling the 5-way bridge. I used a 4 wiire telephone handset wire, and attached it to pins K, L, M, N , and hard wired a sub miniture push on push off switch to the logical pins on the 6 pin stomp switch, board mount. I installed a 9v jack and wired the negative side to the wrong equipment jack, I have to fix that.... it is supposed to be on the negative of the out jack, not the in jack.....

I have a spare 10k balance pot, that I think will add some kind of compensator circuit and fill the extra hole n the box.

Attachments

• IMG_20170210_145146626.jpg
    IMG_20170210_145146626.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20170210_151157004.jpg
    IMG_20170210_151157004.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 195

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I need a wiring diagram for a fOXX DownMachine bass guitar treadle.

I drew my own schematic because the ones I found are not for the down machine but were drawn for other fOXX treadles.

you should see my repair thread on this fix...

I wanted to start a thread that helps guys find what wire connects to where on a circuit board, and that is going to be a chore even for a pro! I always ask for a schematic, even if I need a wiring diagram, and more times than not....I am wrong.

I wondered if there is a way to be sure where a battery connects, or/and, where a signal input from a field coil connects, and/or, where a switch or control might connect to a board with just pins?

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
K...
the excitment is getting bad too!!!

I need a wiring diagram.
FOR A:
fOXX "Down Machine" bass wah. Specially designed to wah bass guitars and organs.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Sorry, you're a bit late with your endeavour. Have a look e.g. here.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
This morning I was stumped on how this puppy is working...
I thought... "suppose my father who was a 2nd class electrican on a destroyer in Leyte during WWII might be able to help me sort this out..." and like always, our discussion got a bit heated, and then it occured to me... The Selsun motors they used turned two ways, using a switched circuit, and most DC motors are induction motors...with that, induction motors can be controlled with resistance...
hence if you place a resistor of equal resistance inline with a motor of the same resistance the motor stops.
This board is inductor powered... It can be stopped with resistance!!!
So I considered, if the switch had been placed, so it turns on enough resistance to kill the inductor, then any devices in that circuit would also fail....(not that this is the way it works but.....)

So after I am looking the circuit over, for the switch to turn a resistance circuit on, it would have a switch side ie. on or off; that connected to both the resistors and the inductor at the same time, otherwise the circuit would not get any signal, it would just loop.

Now I am wondering which circuit would be powered?
1. The circuit that runs through the inductor and through a bunch of resistors
2. The circuit that through a resistor and to a + polarized cap, and a bunch of resistors

There is one connection that I need to know what to do with..
The Treadle Pedal has three poles, One connector I have to the input jack + tip, the common connects to pin J and the third I just don't know about...

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Ah Yes...
I remember electronics class where teach made it all so simple!!!!
there was a ground, that everything connected to!
A positive lead that was always marked with a + sign!
and then there was this common negative lead line thing that kind of wound through the wounded cauterizing all the spurting veins and binding all the open windings....!??!

I need to power the fancy board of an expensive guitar treadle wow-wow-volume.

There is 1 pin on my board that signals to the + sign on a cap and past, to 2 resistors that base both of the transistors...(signal power to the base of both of the transistors, make everything work)

There is 1 pin on my board that signals to a 500 inductor and also to a resistor- (the inductor signals the + side of a cap and two resistors)

There is 1 pin that signals to the - side of both caps, and a resistor.

There is 1 pin that passes a fixed cap, and grounds to a SMD switch termination post

1. I don't power the - side of caps cause they blow up!
2. I don't power terminal grounds because they melt!
3. I don't power inductors because they fry

4. That leaves me with the + siign on the cap and past to 2 resistors that base both the transistors

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
1. I don't power the - side of caps cause they blow up!
2. I don't power terminal grounds because they melt!
3. I don't power inductors because they fry
Are you saying one side of each of these components is floating, i.e. has no connection?

Show us a circuit.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
2 threads on the same subject have been merged

now 3 threads on the same topic have been merged

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.