Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Restoring a Regal Do-Wa-Diddy by fOXX

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
note to moderator- -steve- suggested my other thread was to vaige and my content was not understandable... with your permission, I would like to start over here and delete the "restoring a foxx fuzz wah" thread entirely.... I will send a please delete request... thank you.

This wiring schematic is not working for some reason....
Can anyone trace it, and tell me where I went wrong?

Attachments

• WAHtrace5b.JPG
    WAHtrace5b.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 148

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruck. . . . . . . .

Aaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaa this one is being a bit different tnan the first two schematic suppositions that you made.
Y ou still do not seem to fathom the DPST switch connections interfacing.
Where you have assigned 123456 . . . . sub in my ABCDEF as being the same connections back on the other post where I explained the switch in detail..
Thereby your 2 and 5 will have to be your switching / moving poles .

I see that this units deviates from the prior schemas in the respect that this unit can accomadate a plug in wall wart to power it . . . . coming into that miniature phone connector, and auto disconnecting the 9 V battery. .

In the top right corner we see the WAH pot, is it confirmed as being a 100K log taper unit ?

Does that rotary switch move clockwise (or CCW) when sequentially changing from Pin K to Pin N ?

AND does it stop on an unused 5th position or does it mechanically stop, back at the 4th position ?

Bottom left corner at the 100K and its shunting 10 ufd cap . . . . .go to the right on those two lines and check them out . . . . . VEWY-VEWY cawefuwwy.

I can see the boards ABCD then a spaced out EF and then the boards other sides GHJKLMN pin connection markings.

But I see no referencing on your schema of there being any connections going to B or C ?

Thassssit . . .for now . . . .waiting for ur feedback.

73s de Edd

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Sir tedstruck. . . . . . . .

You still do not seem to fathom the DPST switch connections interfacing.
Where you have assigned 123456 . . . . sub in my ABCDEF as being the same connections back on the other post where I explained the switch in detail..
Thereby your 2 and 5 will have to be your switching / moving poles .

I am thinking about the old style SMD push on/off DPST that once originally installed there... IT grounded to the case... It may have had grounding pegs...

In the top right corner we see the WAH pot, is it confirmed as being a 100K log taper unit ?
I am fairly sure this is the original pot that was installed, it measures at 22k typical for a 100k taper.
Does that rotary switch move clockwise (or CCW) when sequentially changing from Pin K to Pin N ?

Yes it does turn clockwise. and the 5th pin I left open

Bottom left corner at the 100K and its shunting 10 ufd cap . . . . .go to the right on those two lines and check them out . . . . . VEWY-VEWY cawefuwwy.

I can see the boards ABCD then a spaced out EF and then the boards other sides GHJKLMN pin connection markings.

But I see no referencing on your schema of there being any connections going to B or C ?
73s de Edd

the lines at the 33k resistor, are correct. Ii don't under stand the problem yet...
and
B and C pins are connected to each other and nothing else. they terminate to each other. left them off of the schematic.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am fairly sure this is the original pot that was installed, it measures at 22k typical for a 100k taper

This is an example of one of your statements that would get your post deleted as "rubbish" in any thread other than your own.

Of course this isn't typical.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I am fairly sure this is the original pot that was installed, it measures at 22k typical for a 100k taper.
Admittedly I'm late to this party and I never read the original topic. That said I should be capable of understanding this quote but I don't. Are you referring to the 'Wiper' (center terminal) as the taper?
Actually, reading it again,...that makes no sense in that context either.

Chris

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Yeah, I guess I kinda wanted to goose you guys a bit. I originally found out about taper pots when I went to my teach with a question... like, why does my pot measure 100k one way and 22k the other? He said.." if you fiddle with it, you will probably find out that it just wasn't all the way open of closed, and that pots that are taper pots sometimes don't read the same....do some home work."
so I went home and found a nice book at the library... yes yes taper pots readout logyrithms and regular pots just readout %.
anyway, I am considering this wiring diagram.....
Is there any reason why I can't use a wall wart all the time, and eleviate the battery entirely?(at least until I get to the store and they have a battery connector cheap)
.jpg

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Lookin at my diagram... It might work better if I put Pin G to the common and Pin A to the log pot treadle send.....

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruk . . . . .

You still have your input jack wired wrong.
Your DPDT switch for WAH //or// BYPASS is wired wrong.

Our time to mess with your mind now . . . .the bottom left corner has a 10 ufd cap with a 100 K shunting it.
Take the 100K's wiring path to the right at its top and bottom and they will end up as a dead short to the right.

In the words of Red Skelton's Junior, the mean widdle kid, dat jus don'ts look right to me . . .no . . .dat just don't look rights to me!

What I am specifically waiting for, in completing a proper schematic for this unit, is for you to turn the rotary switch knob and see if it is at max CW . . .or . . .CCW, when the rotor engages the .047 ufd cap.

I think that my current 9V connector inventory is at ~100 from flawlessly soldering on connecting wires to the button sides of the connectors that I get from removing from spent 9 V batteries.
Then a nice molding and forming of a 1/8 in thick rectangle of two part epoxy putty, beefs up and seals the wiring on that side of the connector.

73's de Edd

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Sir tedstruk . . . . .

You still have your input jack wired wrong.
Your DPDT switch for WAH //or// BYPASS is wired wrong.

Our time to mess with your mind now . . . .the bottom left corner has a 10 ufd cap with a 100 K shunting it.
Take the 100K's wiring path to the right at its top and bottom and they will end up as a dead short to the right.

In the words of Red Skelton's Junior, the mean widdle kid, dat jus don'ts look right to me . . .no . . .dat just don't look rights to me!

What I am specifically waiting for, in completing a proper schematic for this unit, is for you to turn the rotary switch knob and see if it is at max CW . . .or . . .CCW, when the rotor engages the .047 ufd cap.
73's de Edd

3rd click counter clockwise maintains the .047 cap to the 5 way-terminal

and I will quote my library book on this--common emmiter circuit description

"Figure 7-5 is a schematic of a generic NPN common-emmitter circuit.
Capacitor C1 presents a short circuit to the AC signal, placing the emmitter at signal ground(but not nessesarily DC ground). resistor R1 gives the emitter a small positive DC voltage with respect to ground. The exact DC voltage at the emitter under no-signal conditions depends on the value of R1 and also on the base bias, determined by the ratio of the values of resistors R2 and R3. the Base Biase can range from 0v(ground potential) all the way up to the supply voltage, in this case 12v DC. Normally you'll want to set the no-signal base biase a couple of volts positive with respect to ground.
Capacitor C2 isolates or blocks DC from the input while allowing the AC signal to get through. capacitor C3, blocks DC at the output while letting AC signal pass. engineers call capacitors, such as C2 and C3 blocking capacitors. Resistor R4,keeps the output signal from shorting through the power supply while nevertheless, allowing a positive DC voltage to exisst at the collector.
A signal enters the circuit through C2, where it cuases the base current Ib to vary.
Small fluctuations inIb cause large variations in Ic. this current passes through R4, superimposed on the DC flowing through R4, passes through C3 to the output terminal..."

then there is this "DID YOU KNOW" box in the book that says...
An emitter follower circuit won't amplify signals, but it can help to provide isolation between two different parts of an electrical system. engineers call this sort of isolation circuit a buffer."

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruk . . . . .

Now confirmed . . . . . your direction of turn . . . . to engage the .047 at . . . as being CCW.
Now have i drawn it correct, with the fifth max CCW position, being a non component connected position BUT, the switch does actually detent into it ?

Partial SNIPPET for confirmation . . . . . .

WAH rotary sw snippet.png

73's de Edd

Last edited:

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
3rd click counter clockwise maintains the .047 cap to the 5 way-terminal

and I will quote my library book on this--common emmiter circuit description

"Figure 7-5 is a schematic of a generic NPN common-emmitter circuit.
Capacitor C1 presents a short circuit to the AC signal, placing the emmitter at signal ground(but not nessesarily DC ground). resistor R1 gives the emitter a small positive DC voltage with respect to ground. The exact DC voltage at the emitter under no-signal conditions depends on the value of R1 and also on the base bias, determined by the ratio of the values of resistors R2 and R3. the Base Biase can range from 0v(ground potential) all the way up to the supply voltage, in this case 12v DC. Normally you'll want to set the no-signal base biase a couple of volts positive with respect to ground.
Capacitor C2 isolates or blocks DC from the input while allowing the AC signal to get through. capacitor C3, blocks DC at the output while letting AC signal pass. engineers call capacitors, such as C2 and C3 blocking capacitors. Resistor R4,keeps the output signal from shorting through the power supply while nevertheless, allowing a positive DC voltage to exisst at the collector.
A signal enters the circuit through C2, where it cuases the base current Ib to vary.CEcircuit.jpg
Small fluctuations inIb cause large variations in Ic. this current passes through R4, superimposed on the DC flowing through R4, passes through C3 to the output terminal..."

then there is this "DID YOU KNOW" box in the book that says...
An emitter follower circuit won't amplify signals, but it can help to provide isolation between two different parts of an electrical system. engineers call this sort of isolation circuit a buffer."

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Where the first stop is on the counterclockwise most stop. the switch clicks 3 times... heh heh!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir tedstruk . . . . . . . . . .

FURTHER . . . . verifying semantics and substantiating verbiage . . . . .

Starting and reconfirming:
The switch is placed at MAX CW position . . .engaging the Rotor connector J to K connection and puts .0047 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 position CCW and clicks once as falls into and engages to L connector and puts .01 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 more position CCW and clicks a second time as it falls into and engages to M connector and puts .022 + .0033 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 more position CCW and clicks a third time as falls into and engages to N connector and puts .047 ufd in circuit.

Now , from here on, was apparently the only aspect left in question.

Will a final CCW rotation of the switch, have a 4th click and have the rotor falling into a dormant / unwired 5th position ?

If so . . . . . all mecho-wiring aspects are now falling into agreement.

Another aspect, that I am unable to derive from photographic examination.

Are the bushings of the1/4 inch phone jacks getting a good grounding by their being mounted into the pot metal ? case, but probably, the more important input jack is having a dedicated ground wire running to PCB Stake E which is being the common system ground for the PCB circuitry.

Aso verify:

Is the miniature 1/8 in phone connector that is being used for optional wall wart power input, having its mounting bushing isolated from the case, by use of a pair of insulated washers or is it grounding into
the case by its mounting hardware ?

Thasssit

73's de Edd

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
The Pin E stake is connected to the dedicated input ground.

The 5 way switch is open on the fifth (5th position) CCW

This image shows the 9v input Jack as having a dedicated ground as a large black wire sticking out of the side of the jack, a 9v negative as the white wire in the center, and a +9v red wire, that the alligator clip is attached to.

All grounds to cases are well tightened,

Where should I ground the dedicated 9v jack case ground?IMG_20170316_112751846.jpg

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Sir tedstruk . . . . . . . . . .

FURTHER . . . . verifying semantics and substantiating verbiage . . . . .

Starting and reconfirming:
The switch is placed at MAX CW position . . .engaging the Rotor connector J to K connection and puts .0047 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 position CCW and clicks once as falls into and engages to L connector and puts .01 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 more position CCW and clicks a second time as it falls into and engages to M connector and puts .022 + .0033 ufd in circuit.
The switch is moved 1 more position CCW and clicks a third time as falls into and engages to N connector and puts .047 ufd in circuit.

Now , from here on, was apparently the only aspect left in question.

Will a final CCW rotation of the switch, have a 4th click and have the rotor falling into a dormant / unwired 5th position ?

If so . . . . . all mecho-wiring aspects are now falling into agreement.

Another aspect, that I am unable to derive from photographic examination.

Are the bushings of the1/4 inch phone jacks getting a good grounding by their being mounted into the pot metal ? case, but probably, the more important input jack is having a dedicated ground wire running to PCB Stake E which is being the common system ground for the PCB circuitry.

Aso verify:

Is the miniature 1/8 in phone connector that is being used for optional wall wart power input, having its mounting bushing isolated from the case, by use of a pair of insulated washers or is it grounding into
the case by its mounting hardware ?

Thasssit

73's de Edd

All the grounds are good.
All the connections are proper.
I posted a pic of the 9v input.

I tested my work, and it wahs a little!
But when It is in the bypass mode it is hardly audible... can't hear the instrument in bypass.

Thanks for all yor help! I think it is working as good as it ever will!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruk . . . . . . . .

O.K. we are now down to confirming the last of the assignments of wiring connections into that PC boards stakes.

We have accounted for JKLNM stakes as automatically being connections made to the rotary switch.
Co-joined B and C stakes are totally unused.
E stake is common ground on the board.
D stake will be where the power comes into the PCB from a switched mini phone plug, or if its plug is not inserted, its switch connects an internal 9V battery supply to the pcb AFTER you insert a std 1/4 in guitar plug in the INPUT jack, functioning to both complete the ground loop of the negative of the battery to E stake and let guitar audio input thru the tip conection.
F stake is being the INPUT jacks tip connection to the PCB.
G stake is being the guitar /or / WAH output to its jacks tip connector.

A and H stakes seem to be the only unassigned units left. As I can not see the wiring run from the 100K log WAH pot,in any photo, they must connect to its center rotor and the high end of the pot.
However I AM able to see a ground on the pots low side, being made with a loooong grounding lug to the pot bushings proper for a ground.
Assign my missing A and H stake connectons with those, that you have connected to, away from the board.

Your forthcoming info should then let me finish the PCB's stakes / to / remoted interconnects and I can then also shows you how to correct thet thar DPDT switch, whut likes you still done gots "warred" in wrongs.

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
After completeing the change from the treadle out to the common wah out, I noticed that the wah has 3 outs, the common to the output and pins G. The last terminal is grounded to the case, as I understand you require a spare grounding wire from the lug to the pin H on board? This would ground the center(treadle lug) straight to the ground through Pin A?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tedstruk . . . . . . . .

Just examine your unit as it is presently wired and tell me what ancillary remoted component you have the wire from PCB stake A going to.
Also, I have need to know . . . .within the expanse of a COSMIC / NATO / CRYPTO / TOP SECRET / EFTO clearance . . . . . what is the wire leaving from PCB stake H being connected to ?
That final info will then let me finish the units schematic, submit here to you, and then you confirm, with you.
ALSO, you will then additionally be seeing the manner of wiring to the DPDT switch, to permit straight guitar bypass through the unit . . . . .sans . . . . . any WAH effect..

You say . . .

as I understand you require a spare grounding wire from the lug to the pin H on board?

I say . . .

Since the H stake is being the dedicated ground wire for all of the unit, it is plausible that the ground lug related end connector of the WAH pot might be additionally getting a direct wiring / backup ground connection, as it currently is relying upon the grounding integrity of a TIGHTENED internal star lockwasher BITING into the alum-i-ninny-yum-yum / pot metal case.

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I have an idea.... just an idea.

The resistors at the second transistor 10k and 1k are active when the 22k resistor fires. Because 10k + 1k + 22k = 33k, the 33k resistor becomes inactive in this condition, shutting down the inductor until the treadle changes the resistance, creating a trickle through the inductor that causes wah.

What do you think?