Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Retrieving data from digital dictaphone

stgall

Oct 1, 2011
This is a post of both curiosity and practical necessity...

I own a 'Microspot' cheapo digital voice recorder (model DA128 - http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/...f;jsessionid=EEABCD3A2D9FCFEF7C97035AF86989E9). Sadly it has no USB port, it's just a basic record, play, pause effort. I had a pretty important interview recorded on there and managed to turn off hold and inadvertently delete it while it was in my bag.

So just out of curiosity (for now)

1) Does anyone know if these things store audio in common audio file formats (e.g. WAV, MP3, etc)
2) As it can store multiple files, I assume the 'delete' action will be similar to that of a computer - i.e. it'll delete the file reference but won't actually wipe the data itself yet (therefore making it theoretically recoverable)
2) Has anyone ever tried opening a dictaphone up and somehow connecting the memory chip to a computer to make it readable?

Or is it a flight of fancy to imagine anything that costs so little would be this hackable??

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'd be surprised if it was not hackable, after all it's not a security related item, though it might be highly integrated with the memory inside a CPU.
There are several question/challenges however: identifying & unsoldering chip, connecting it to a reader, finding start & end of file, file format.
I'm sorry but I've no further experience related to this than jacking out a PROM/EPROM from a socket and reading/programming it.