Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Retro Project

wausaubill

Jun 6, 2011
Hey All,

I have a vintage 1960 Magnavox stereo cabinet with am/fm radio and phonograph built in. It works and sounds great. What I would like to do is hack it so that I can plug in my ipod and have it play through the system.

Obviously the easiest way would be to get fm transmitter, but that seems very inelegant to me.

The input wires from the phonograph to the amplifier are easily accessible and I was thinking I could cut into those send the output to a switch box, have the ipod plug into the the switch box as well and then send the output from the switch box to the amplifier.

My question is this...I know you can't normally send this kind of output to a phonograph input. Is there a good way to attenuate the signal properly I would appreciate some info. Perhaps someone has already tackled this kind of project and posted the information on the web, if so I have not found the right search terms to find it.

Thanks!

Bill

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The main issue with the phono input is the RIAA equalization applied to the signal.

This would make your music sound a little odd.

Does it have any other input?

wausaubill

Jun 6, 2011
All the inputs are hardwired, and other only other choice would be the radio (either am or fm) inputs.

Thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
That would be the best way to go. cut into the Audio out of the receiver and switch it between socket for i-phone and receiver before it goes into main amplifier.

Dave

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
While cutting into the internal wiring might give the best fidelity I'd be inclined to make an anti-RIAA filter. This has to be the correct version though.
I guess the input on a 60's unit would be for a crystal pickup (and so you might have a volume/level challenge too).