Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reverb installation

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for that. Tried a quick wireup but not a lot of success. May have twisted wrong wires together!. Project shelved for a week or so to allow for house moving. Catch you when all settled.
Regards
Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
OK back in circulation and nearly ready to start twisting wires together again!. A new problem has surfaced. Sending data via bluetooth from computer to amplifier. OK, it works but the signal is too powerful and the volume control has to be set at lowest setting. This means I have no control over output. Is there a simple solution to my problem?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are a number of possibilities:

1. The output of the bluetooth adapter is at too high a level. This will almost be certain if you're plugging it in to a guitar input. The simple solution is to build an attenuator for the output of the bluetooth adapter (essentially another volume control that is always turned down really low).
  2. The output of your PC is too high. This is less likely, and you would probably be hearing lots of distortion.
  3. You have plugged the bluetooth receiver into the wrong input (the aforementioned guitar input instead of an aux input). This assumes you have such an alternate input.
The simple solution to (1) is to connect 2 resistors in series and then connect them across the output of the bluetooth adapter. Use say a 100k and a 1k. Then take your output from across the 1k resistor. This will be about 1% of the volume. If this improves the signal level, and you don't have too much distortion, then we can do it in a more permanent fashion. If it still requires tweaking we probably have a ballpark figure for where er need to start.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Will have a look at that one, not sure exatly what you mean but it will probably be clear to me when I start twisting wires together!
Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here's a picture that shows how to twist the wires together :)

attenuator.png
The resistor colour codes are not accurate, they're just there to make them look like resistors.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks That is the way I thought it would look. Now trying to find my hoad of resisters still buried somewhere under furniture and pictures.
:p

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
O.K. So dont laugh...Drove 40 k to Pukekohe on my birthday to buy some more resistors. Got what
I wanted to do the job, drove home and put the packets on the sideboard. That was the last time I saw them! Three days of searching and they still have not turned up. Will have to drive again to town to purchase more. It was my 85th birthday so that probably explains it all!
:eek::eek::eek:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Don't blame it on your age. I do it all the time :( :D

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Yep, you are right but I felt it was a good excuse!!!!:D

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
OK, got round this morning to trying out the circuit you advised. You did not specify which was the Pos line so I took a guess and it didn't work. tried it again with the 100k on its own just cut into the positive line. This worked but not quite well enough so I added another 100k and that worked out just about right. So now I have (in effect) a 200k resistor in the line and that has brought the level down to one that is controllable with the volume contol. Thanks.

Have now got a break in activities while I go to hospital for an operation, then I can get back to experimenting with the reverb.

Catch you later,
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I hope all goes well with your operation.

We look forward to your return so we can assist you in getting this reverb working for you.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Am just out of hospital after a five day spell where they removed my spleen. I am very tired and full of aches. It is nice to rest though. Every time I shut my eyes in hospital they would wake me to test my blood pressure remove blood, or perhaps just give me a sleeping pill. I can now slip into bed whenever I want.

Not ready yet to do any messin with wires. At the moment getting fit again is the top priority. Thanks for you message .

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
OK so life is tricky. Just getting ready to twist wires together again when I had a stroke!
This was 11 weeks ago and now can't play the guitar to save my life! Working hard to get right hand fingers moving again and get back to messin with electronics. In the meantime I cant hold a plectrum for longer than 60seconds.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That really sucks. On the positive side though, you're telling us about it.

Here's hoping you get your right hand moving well enough to play guitar again.

And here was me about to complain about the injuries I got yesterday falling off a chair (I think this will be the first and last time you hear about that).

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Sorry bout that, It's like someone trumping your Ace in a friendly game! Trust the injuries have healed.
Gettin close to another go at reverb installation. Last try bout 6 months ago! Seem to remember that it worked but picked up a lot of extraneous noises. It gave also too much reverb. All I need is enough to soften the sound output.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Here we go again. Finger movement and guitar playing has improved to the extent that I can start thinking seriously about messing with reverb again.
Battery needs replacing in the amplifier and I am wondering if I could replace it with a bigger one. This would take more area which at the moment is mainly occupied by the reverb tank. My question is.....could I mount the tank vertically or is it essential that it lies horizontal?

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
I added to this conversation yesterday but got no replies and today can't even find it on the forum. Either my computer failed to send it or it got wiped off. Anyway, here it is again.........
Am about to replace the dying battery in my 240/12v amp. and would like to put a larger one in. Unfortunately the floor space is taken up with the reverb I am experimenting with. Question is would the reverb work if it was mounted vertically? or does it have to be horizontal?
Deigh