Maker Pro
Maker Pro

reverse polarity relay??

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
I am not anything remotely close to an electronics expert and am seeking help

I want to find a polarity reversing relay to control a linear actuator on a timer

I found a wiring diagram on line

330px-Crossover-switch-symbolsvg_zps58df380e.png

It is described as a DPDT switch internally wired for polarity-reversal applications: only four rather than six wires are brought outside the switch housing

where can I find something like this - i am unsure by descriptions if I am looking for the right thing

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You have the description, it's a DPDT (Double Pole - Double Throw) switch or relay... You can find them all over the place, try Google, Ebay or your local/Internet electronic component store...

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
You have the description, it's a DPDT (Double Pole - Double Throw) switch or relay... You can find them all over the place, try Google, Ebay or your local/Internet electronic component store...

I have seen DPDT but none set up internally for polarity switching. Can I do this outside the relay?

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
thank you.

The comment that its set up internally threw me - I can do this!ou

thank y

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
May not be useful, but...

In addition, you'll often see exactly the same wiring, but with each set of contacts on a different relay (i.e. two SPDT relays). This allows a motor to got forward, backward, or stop.

Normally the relays are wired to that when neither is powered, the motor is off.

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
As suggested two SPDT relays can be used.

Look up the wiring used to control door lock actuators in a vehicle. You will notice that when done this way that only one actuator is energized at a time, due to the at rest polarity of the system.