Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reversing switches

mikemwa

Jan 14, 2012
I have a string on 2 pullies with a stop attached to it. There are 2 switches or some kind of sensors in the path. There is a gear motor attached to one pulley. I want to push the button and the stop will travel to one switch then stop. When the button is pressed again I want the stop to go to the other switch and then stop and so on. How would I wire something like this up?

I have attached a simple file of what I'm trying to do.

Attachments

• Pully.jpg
    Pully.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 138

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
First, you have to pick out the motor, what are the voltage/current requirements?

How is the motor wired?

We need a bit more info before we can help you.

mikemwa

Jan 14, 2012
The motor I have is 2 to 6 volts DC and is a geared motor. Any other info needed?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you want a single pushbutton (momentary contact) switch to reverse the motor you will need some logic and power transistors or relays. If you used a toggle switch (dpdt) you can do it all with switches.

If you can find a latching pushbutton dpdt switch, this could also work with no electonics.

The idea is feed the + and - power into the center terminals of the dpdt switch. Then the outer terminals are fed to the motor, with one set rerversed and the other straight though (+ to + - to -). The + side of each power connection to the motor should go though the normally closed limit switch.

Bob

Last edited:

mikemwa

Jan 14, 2012
Oops. I forgot to mention that I was thinking of using micro switches if that makes a difference. Just whatever makes it simple for now.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
No, no ideas. That is why I wasted my time telling you how to wire it and what kind of switch you could use.

Bob