Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RFID Chess Board

benannah

Jan 6, 2020
I read an old thread today on creating a chess board with 64 RFID antenna and 1 reader.
Everyone keeps telling me I am insane to pursue this because it won't work.

But there is a nice little paper written recently on MUX of 64 antenna with a single reader.
I was hoping to use 13.56 and print out my own antennae with silver nano ink graphene.

Here is where I am and my problems. Any help is appreciated!

Issues so far are:

It’s not that easy to read 64 squares from a single NFC reader even if you succeed to add multiple readers to a single chip

Processing could take 2 seconds to read all 64 squares. Need it to be real time.

My initial thoughts are:

Use RC522 and jerry rig it so that that I have it read 64 antennae through a MUX
This is a very inexpensive solution. The metal issues could be taken care of with anti-metal tags

What would the antenna look like? Can I just print off the antenna that comes with the RC522 and reproduce it?

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
I like the idea a lot but I think it would be too expensive. How about using capacitive touch type technology. The person has to set up the board correctly but once they get going you could have one large PCB detecting when a piece is picked up and where it is dropped off.