Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RFID switch

Snayjay

Mar 25, 2011
I am 100% non-electronically inclined... so that's why I've come here for advice. I'd like to use this RFID alarm product (or a better product if you know of one) that can be rigged to either complete a circuit or not based on proximity.

Application will be for a motorcycle. I want to put the reader on my bike. The tag in my wallet. Anytime I'm close it will allow the power to the starter like turning my key does. Then I just hit the starter like normal. And wallah... no key required.

Here is another product on the market, but I'd rather figure out a way to make one than pay $300 to buy one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

v/r

Snayjay

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Power to the starter is no big deal. But presumably the bike can be started with a kick start too?

To prevent people doing that, you would have to use the RFID to control the ignition, but this would be VERY DANGEROUS because a fault might cause you to lose your ignition at the worst possible time.

Without having one of these devices it is hard to say what would be involved in modifying it.

You would (at the very least) have to:

1) power the receiver from the bike battery via a low quiescent current regulator (so you don't flatten the battery)
2) couple the output the a transistor and then to a relay rated to carry sufficient current for the starter (well maybe not the actual starter!)
3) probably some circuitry to convert a pulsing output to a simple on/off output.

And all of this has to be made so that it doesn't shake itself apart. Motorbikes tend to vibrate a little :)

Snayjay

Mar 25, 2011
OMG...

Thanks for the expert reply, but I think you lost me at "Power to the starter..."

Looks like I'm even more of an electronic dimwit than I thought. Maybe it's better to go with that product from digitalguarddawg.

Honestly I just thought it would be easy to setup an RFID receiver on my bike and carry a tag in my wallet and whenever I get within say 5 feet of the bike then the bike turns on like i just turned the key. Then I could just hit the starter button and I'd be off.

I thought the only danger would be if someone stole my wallet, but that's the same danger as someone getting my keys. So no difference really.

As for kick starting it... I'm not overly worried about that. 1st off, not too many people would even know it had an RFID starter thing. And even if they did... my thoughts are... if they are smart enough to notice it had an RFID starter, and they were smart enough to know it could kick started then they are probably also smart enough NOT to steal a motorcycle; especially a Harley. Just my thoughts.

Thoughts?:confused:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It would be a cool thing to have, but you'd have to have some experience both with electronics, and with working on the electrical system of the bike.