Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RGB light strip components help.

Hapyy

Jul 30, 2013
I am trying to make a sort of art project and am not too sure what components I require. It's a sign that I want the background to light up. I have selected a meter long RGB strip light that I beleive is suitable to the task as well as an RGB controller with an RF remote. Now what I'm having trouble with is selecting a 12 VDC rechargeable battery that's compact and not too heavy, as well as the connectors between the battery an the controller and a wall charger. I also don't know if I need any other components between the controller an the battery for power control or anything like that. Unfortunately I'm a wee bit in the dark when it comes to electronics. Does anyone have any ideas?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maybe you want a switch between the battery and the controller. I would expect that you NEED nothing else.

The battery size is going to be determined by the amount of energy required and the time you want the device to run.

If you're using rechargeable batteries you will need to consider whether you will over discharge them and damage them.

If you're using non-rechargeable batteries then you may need to consider replacement cost (is there a different battery that provides a lower cost/W). As an example of this, a small 9V battery may cost more and have less energy than 6 AA cells. (you need 12V, but the relationship may still hold).

Hapyy

Jul 30, 2013
Well I just found an 8 x AA and an 8 x D cell 12 VDC power supplies. Those would work perfect I beleive. What should I be looking at as far as compatibility is concerned and do you think the AA cells would work fine and is D cell over kill. It may be running for up to 8 hours at a time for 7 days possibly every day.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The size of battery is determined by the current that is drawn and how long you want it to last between battery changes.

Generaly speaking the D cell will last about 4 times longer, but AA cells are often available in special high capacity versions.

What is the current required from the batteries to power the display?

Hapyy

Jul 30, 2013
It says that power consumption/ft is 124 mA and current draw @12vdc is 404mA for the light strip. I can't find that specification on the controller except that is says that It says its maximum current load is 4 amps per channels (12 amps total) does that help?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, that looks like you'll need to provide for about 0.5A at 12V.

Over 8 hours that is 4000mAh

AA size batteries would last about 1/2 a day. (note that 500mA is the limit for these specs)

D size batteries would lase significantly longer (maybe a couple of days)

Note that if the intensity is less than maximum, the batteries will last proportionately longer.