Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ribbon cable connector

YishGene

Feb 27, 2013
Hi,

I read the sticky and after a few hours looking at google etc., I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to modify an LED monitor and found the cable that drives the LEDs based on what was written on it. It's a flat ribbon cable and I can't access the single wires inside with normal tools. I would now like to stick this cable into some sort of connector or socket so that I can access the different lines coming out of the connector.

this is the cable, it's labeled kotl-e220709:
http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/need-hp-dv6000s-kotl-e220709-116818/
(I'm not using it in an HP laptop).

From my searches I also found a different name for this cable,
AWM E66085 20798 12 pin
as in here:
http://www.zlectronic.com/product/RIBBON-BUTTON-CABLE-SONY-E66085-AWM-20798-80C-60V-12PIN.html

Where would be a good place to find a compatible connector?

Thanks,
YG

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You've done a lot to help :)

I think you want a flex connector. (See here)

You will need to know some more details. Looks like it's a single sided 12 way cable. The spacing of the conductors is needed, and the thickness of the cable is also very good to know.

You may find the connectors are only available in surface mount.

There are various methods to get the cable in. Some just push in, others have a locking mechanism.

YishGene

Feb 27, 2013
Wow. That took 12 whole minutes :)

Thanks a lot !! I'll have a look at that part of Digikey and see what I can fish.

YishGene

Feb 27, 2013
OK, I think I found a connector but this still doesn't solve my problem. The leads coming out of all of the connectors there are the same pitch as the leads in the wire! So I can't access those either with normal tools. What can I use to make the spacing betweem these leads?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What is the pitch? 1mm spacing should be relatively trivial to handle. All you need is a relatively fine tip on your soldering iron.

If you can find a connector where the leads are staggered, you'll have 2mm between centres.

(Don't blame your tools)

YishGene

Feb 27, 2013
The pitch is 0.5mm, I think I might be able to handle 1mm but this is too much. Couldn't find any staggered connectors, and support at Digikey recommended ordering a PCB to break the connections. Do you see an easier solution?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, 0.5mm is pretty fine. You can do it with a very fine tip and a steady hand, but I can understand that it is rather daunting.

The best I can suggest is trying to find some sort of break-out board with the connector already soldered to it, but I would have my doubts as to whether you can find something like that.

OK, I see digikey recommended essentially the same thing. Did they point you at any options?

If you can find something which has an appropriate spacing for the socket (could be a break-out board for something else) then maybe someone could solder it to that for you.

Something like this may work.

YishGene

Feb 27, 2013
Yup, that looks perfect. i think I could do the 0.5mm soldering if it's on something stable like that. Thanks for working this out for me!

I think I'll try this way, do you have any recommendation for soldering tips or just anything fine enough would do?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would be looking for a 0.3mm tip and some very fine solder (0.3mm would be perfect). Although, with care, you can use larger tips and solder.

You may find it helpful to work under magnification.

Also if you get some solder wick, you can use that to correct any solder bridges that you may accidentally make. It will also let you get away with using larger tips and/or solder.

You would be well advised to practice first, and possibly to get duplicate board and connector so you can learn from any really bad mistakes without waiting for another round of shipping. (In the best case you can make another for a friend!)