Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ribbon Cable to Stranded?

Dannicus

Jun 22, 2015
Hello,

I am rebuilding a device into a new case and need to make some external connections.

The original input is via a bespoke keypad but I will be controlling the device from a PC connected via USB so I don't need the keypad - except for a single function - Power on / off.

The connection to the keypad from the board is an 18 way flat ribbon cable (1mm pitch - as picture) and I have identified the 2 cores that operate the switch.

I am trying to find a termination that I can put into the connector on the board (as pictured) and come out to 2 regular stranded cables that I can wire to a switch. I can push a jumper pin into the relevant slots but am looking for something a little more OEM!

Alternatively I can cut the existing ribbon cable and solve the problem at the other end!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,

Dan.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 140
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 101

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Dannicus
I don't think you will find an OEM 18 pin flexi cable to two pin wire anywhere!!
Cutting it and scaping it to reveal the trace might be your only option.
But wait and see what other people say. Different ideas etc.
Martin

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Soldering to that ribbon cable is going to be a hassle... perhaps you should explore 'adding' onto the board. Look on the underside beneath the connector and see if it's a through-hole mount. If so, tack some fine wire to the appropriate pins, and either run it to the desired location, or attach a 2-wire connector of your choosing. This way you don't damage the original ribbon cable, and if you ever need to restore function, just unplug your add-on wire harness and put the ribbon cable back in.

Dannicus

Jun 22, 2015
Thanks for your ideas.

Sadly I cannot access the back of the components on the board.

Looks like I will try to strip and solder the ribbion cable.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for your ideas.

Sadly I cannot access the back of the components on the board.

Looks like I will try to strip and solder the ribbion cable.
Is the ribbon cable socket on the board a surface mount? Can you perhaps tack into it from the topside?
If you want to proceed with soldering to a plastic ribbon cable... best of luck, and please practice on something first.