Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RJ-14 Connectors

R

Ryan Ashline

Jan 1, 1970
0
Does anyone know where I can find RJ-14 conectors? I need RJ-14(4
cond) for a speacial cable not RJ-11(6 cond).

Thanks for your help

Ryan
 
D

Dbowey

Jan 1, 1970
0
Ryan posted:
RJ11 and RJ14 are both 6-position connectors. The plugs are physically
identical, but the jack is different for each.

The "RJ" series catalog does not show a 4-position connector, but there are
probably similar jack and plug combos with 4-positions, that do not use the RJ
numbering.

Don
 
J

John Fields

Jan 1, 1970
0
Ryan posted:
RJ11 and RJ14 are both 6-position connectors. The plugs are physically
identical, but the jack is different for each.

The "RJ" series catalog does not show a 4-position connector, but there are
probably similar jack and plug combos with 4-positions, that do not use the RJ
numbering.
 
P

petrus bitbyter

Jan 1, 1970
0
Ryan Ashline said:
Does anyone know where I can find RJ-14 conectors? I need RJ-14(4
cond) for a speacial cable not RJ-11(6 cond).

Thanks for your help

Ryan

My local electronics shop sells the next components:

Modular plugs
RJ-14 4p4c
RJ-11 6p4c
RJ-12 6p6c
RJ-45 8p8c

Where p is for position and c for contact. I have some samples of all of
them. Except for the RJ-12, do-it-yourself shops
also sell them. The well known RJ-45 is widely used in UTP networks and
ISDN. RJ-11 and RJ-14 are used for telephones.

pieter
 
D

Dbowey

Jan 1, 1970
0
pieter posted:
My local electronics shop sells the next components:

Modular plugs
RJ-14 4p4c
RJ-11 6p4c
RJ-12 6p6c
RJ-45 8p8c

Where p is for position and c for contact. I have some samples of all of
them. Except for the RJ-12, do-it-yourself shops
also sell them. The well known RJ-45 is widely used in UTP networks and
ISDN. RJ-11 and RJ-14 are used for telephones.

pieter

The Position count you have for the RJ14 is incorrect or the package is
mis-designated.

The RJ14 uses positions 2, 3, 4, 5. Positions 1 and 4 are vacant, but they are
present. Physically, for width, you must use a 6-position mini-modular socket
to mate with a RJ14.

Don
 
D

Dbowey

Jan 1, 1970
0
My previous post contains an error:
The RJ14 uses positions 2, 3, 4, 5. Positions 1 and 4 are vacant,...

Should read: Positions 1 and 6 are vacant,...

Don
 
P

petrus bitbyter

Jan 1, 1970
0
Dbowey said:
pieter posted:

The Position count you have for the RJ14 is incorrect or the package is
mis-designated.

The RJ14 uses positions 2, 3, 4, 5. Positions 1 and 4 are vacant, but they are
present. Physically, for width, you must use a 6-position mini-modular socket
to mate with a RJ14.

Don

There's a lot of confusion out there regarding modular plugs. I did not want
to start a discussion about it, I simply copied the info from the local
electronics shop. (To me local is Rotterdam.)

As for the RJ-xx modular plugs, telephone companies often uses 6p4c (or
RJ-11) but only two of the connections are required for one telephone line.
(The 6p6c is often also named RJ-11 by them although it's commonly named
RJ-12 elsewhere.) As for the RJ-14, this is same 6p4c modular plug but it is
wired to carry two telephone lines. That's why you can buy a lot of RJ-14
<--> 2xRJ-11 splitters.

The 4p4c modular plug does not fit in this catagories although it is widely
used. I often see them on handset cords. Their jackets are to small for a
6pxc modular plug although their plugs fit in a 6pxc jacket. (But they can
move a little to much so you may get faulty contacts.) Some also name them
RJ-11 which I consider part of the confusion.

The only thing all agree about is the 8p8c modular plug. It's called RJ-45
regardless what signals it carries.

pieter
 
D

Dbowey

Jan 1, 1970
0
pieter,

I don't wish to comment further on the RJ14, etc., except to say that I am
quite familiar with the RJ--- connectors, as I was a member of the ANSI T1
Working Group that designed the RJ14. I still maintain a catalog of all the
connectors.

The problem with the RJ connectors is that it is the RJ identity that defines
pin identities and functions. When a mini-modular connector is used in a
non-telco situation, then it IS NOT an RJ----. f people do not want an RJ14,
RJ48C, etc., it is best to call it by what it really is; for example, a 6-pin
mini-modular jack or plug.
The only thing all agree about is the 8p8c modular plug. It's called RJ-45
regardless what signals it carries.

All we can agree on is that when the connector is in a bag, it it might become
an RJ45, but it might not.

Does Holland use the "RJ" Network Interface?

Don
 
M

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 1, 1970
0
petrus said:
There's a lot of confusion out there regarding modular plugs. I did not want
to start a discussion about it, I simply copied the info from the local
electronics shop. (To me local is Rotterdam.)

As for the RJ-xx modular plugs, telephone companies often uses 6p4c (or
RJ-11) but only two of the connections are required for one telephone line.
(The 6p6c is often also named RJ-11 by them although it's commonly named
RJ-12 elsewhere.) As for the RJ-14, this is same 6p4c modular plug but it is
wired to carry two telephone lines. That's why you can buy a lot of RJ-14
<--> 2xRJ-11 splitters.

The 4p4c modular plug does not fit in this catagories although it is widely
used. I often see them on handset cords. Their jackets are to small for a
6pxc modular plug although their plugs fit in a 6pxc jacket. (But they can
move a little to much so you may get faulty contacts.) Some also name them
RJ-11 which I consider part of the confusion.

The only thing all agree about is the 8p8c modular plug. It's called RJ-45
regardless what signals it carries.

pieter

---


I have about a hundred cables that are 8p8c modular plug on on end,
and the other end is spade lugs. They were made for data terminals, with
RS-232 interfaces. The plugs went into the terminals, and the lugs went
to a terminal block.
 
P

petrus bitbyter

Jan 1, 1970
0
Dbowey said:
pieter,

I don't wish to comment further on the RJ14, etc., except to say that I am
quite familiar with the RJ--- connectors, as I was a member of the ANSI T1
Working Group that designed the RJ14. I still maintain a catalog of all the
connectors.

The problem with the RJ connectors is that it is the RJ identity that defines
pin identities and functions. When a mini-modular connector is used in a
non-telco situation, then it IS NOT an RJ----. f people do not want an RJ14,
RJ48C, etc., it is best to call it by what it really is; for example, a 6-pin
mini-modular jack or plug.


All we can agree on is that when the connector is in a bag, it it might become
an RJ45, but it might not.

Does Holland use the "RJ" Network Interface?

Don

Don,

Well, this explains a lot of the confusion. At least to me. As for the 8p8c
modular plugs (and jacks), they're becomming the new "RS232" I'm afraid.

In Holland all new (and less old) equipment has 6p4c modular jacks. Most
large building and offices that has their own in house PBX also use any type
of modular jack in the wall outlet. Private houses however are still using
outlets and four pins plugs of about the same size as a mains plug. The plug
on the other side of the cord however is a 6p4c modular type nowadays. You
can easily exchange the heavy plug with a same type that contains a a 6p4c
jack. Do-it-yourself-markets sell all of the material you need to extend
your installation, including modular plugs, wall outlets, cabling and cheap
plastic pliers to mount the modular plugs. But this does not mean that Dutch
Telecom uses "RJ". I never saw RJ mentioned in one of their publications,
at least not to the general public.

As for Ryan, the answer to his original question becomes: The plugs you want
to have are 4p4c mini-modular ones. For sale in Holland. Look at www.dil.nl
.. They do post orders. Ordernumber 05.57.5144 modular plug 4p4c
Radiall-type R280MOD4X4. I just updated the catalog. It's also called RJ-10
now, not RJ-14 anymore. (Which both are wrong as we know by now.) They are
priced 0.48 Euro a piece (ex. VAT) which goes down to 0.23 a piece if you
buy one hundred of them at a time. Don't know about shipping and custom.
You'll have to mail DIL yourself.

pieter
 
Does anyone know where I can find RJ-14 conectors? I need RJ-14(4
cond) for a speacial cable not RJ-11(6 cond).

Thanks for your help

Ryan


From my understanding of what you are asking for, I would say you are
looking for an FCC68 specification 4p,4c mini modular plug/skt.
I have never actually seen any supplier particularly refer to this
type (4p/4c) as RJ?? anything before, though the larger connectors do
have RJ numbering. Any supplier of datacomms/networking stuff should
carry what you need.


regards
Alastair
 
W

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

Jan 1, 1970
0
Does anyone know where I can find RJ-14 conectors? I need RJ-14(4
cond) for a speacial cable not RJ-11(6 cond).

First off, you should ask this on comp.dcom.telecom.tech and
comp.dcom.cabling. Almost all modular connectors come with four pins,
which is RJ-14.
Thanks for your help

Ryan


--
@@[email protected]@[email protected]@@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@,@@[email protected]@[email protected],@@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 <at> hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@@[email protected]@[email protected]@@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@@
 
P

petrus bitbyter

Jan 1, 1970
0
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun said:
First off, you should ask this on comp.dcom.telecom.tech and
comp.dcom.cabling. Almost all modular connectors come with four pins,
which is RJ-14.

Wich is wrong as Don Bowey explained already.

pieter
 
Top