Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rpm Problem turntable Sony PS 333 direct drive

Sploof

Nov 21, 2018
Hello,
I had my sony ps 333 direct drive for years and all of a suddend the pitch started to be very low. It’s neither 45 RPM or 33 RPM. Its got a wheel where I could adjust it, but it only skips from super fast to very slow.

I don’t really know what to do about this. I’m greatfull for every response.

Thank you in advance

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Could be a simple break in the circuitry around the actual speed control itself.

A full technical manual is available for download https://elektrotanya.com/sony_ps-333_turntable.pdf/download.html which gives all the details necessary to take the unit apart.

Page 10 shows the small PCB carrier that has the speed control soldered to it and you need to either make very close inspection of the joints or post close-up, in-focus picture that we can inspect for you.

Sploof

Nov 21, 2018
Thank you so much and sorry for the late reply. I opened it up and see RV1 and RV2. For some reason I can’t upload pictures of them.

Sploof

Nov 21, 2018
Thank you so much and sorry for the late reply. I opened it up and see RV1 and RV2. For some reason I can’t upload pictures of them.

So I tried playing around with the RV 1 and listening if the pitch is better, but now the rpm is pretty much equivalent to the speed of light.
I can’t slow it down by any means. I think I broke the pitch controll, while playing around with the RV and now it’s set to the highest rpm possible. :(

Sploof

Nov 21, 2018
They are probably too large. Resize them to 800x600 and try again.
Thanks. Here are pics of the two RVs. Tell me if you need another angle or a pic of a diffrent part.
I still can´t regulate the pitch over the RVs. My thinking is that the speed control nob is broken and is constantly on full throttle.IMG_8667-min.JPG IMG_8668-min.JPG IMG_8669-min.JPG

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Both look to be in rather poor condition and probably need to be replaced.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I'd try noting the current position of the wiper (look at the orientation of the 'slot' in the metal top part of the preset potentiometers) and give them a twist left and right to 'wipe' the tracks and potentially restore contact - assuming it's been lost due to dirt/corrosion. Set them back to their original positions though. Use the appropriate small flat-bladed screwdriver and do this CAREFULLY so as not to damage them.

Most of them look to be set at their mid-point already so movement either side of this is always possible.

Show the actual speed control potentiometer too (as shown on page 10) - we need to see a close-up of the soldered connections to establish that one end hasn't broken loose.

Sploof

Nov 21, 2018
I tried screwing it all the way left, then right and into an neutral position again to clean the contacts, but it still is way too fast. Interesting is though, that there is still an noticeable diffrence between 33 and 45 RPM. So its not going as fast as it can.

These are Pictures of the speed controll potentiometer (i cant unscrew it and take it out, because its glued into the frame)
It looks a bit wavey, like heatdamage and I also noticed a tiny crack at the sony print between the N and the Y.
IMG_8674-min.JPG
IMG_8673-min.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Temporarily disconnect the red and orange wires from the control pot circuit board and measure the resistance between all three points (either end of the pot track to the wiper). Let us know what the results are.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Do as kellys_eye say, but I'm going to suggest a different path.

Please measure the DC voltage on each of the three pins of Q4 and post them.