Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rubber glue for holding wires on ICs/PCBs?

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
I sometimes need to modify stuff on PCBs by soldering wires between ICs and a connector for instance. To prevent the wires from breaking free I want to mechanically secure them with some sort of adhesive, but not permanently.

I remember having seen some sort of elastic yellow coloured rubber-glue found inside various factory made electronic devices which keeps wires firmly attached but with a little force lets them loose and can be removed without any trace left. What kind of glue is this, and where can it be bought?
I've tried using hot-glue to fasten some wires on top of ICs but my experience is that it easily breaks loose (most likely because the surface is too smooth).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I've tried using hot-glue to fasten some wires on top of ICs but my experience is that it easily breaks loose (most likely because the surface is too smooth).
Hot glue is often used for that purpose. While sticking reasonably well to a PCB, it can be lifted off with moderate force. You may have to try different types of glue sticks to find one that holds onto the PCB more reliably.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I use either TAC-PAK which is a type of super Glue or RTV which is like a rubber sealant designed for PCBs.
Cheers
Adam

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
Hot glue is often used for that purpose. While sticking reasonably well to a PCB, it can be lifted off with moderate force. You may have to try different types of glue sticks to find one that holds onto the PCB more reliably.

The glue sticks I have (and have seen in the stores) are all "generic" with no desciption other than their dimensions and "for hot glue gun". Also the hot, soft glue often sticks to the tip of the hot glue gun making it hard to leave a pretty and small "blob" only to where you want to glue. But there are glue sticks better suited for this sort of thing?

The glue I have now sticks very well to the wires themselves (becomes a hard "Blob") but gets loose from the IC I'm trying to fasten it to just because I disconnected the other end of the cable and has caused problems, so now I need to remove it all and resolder.

I really think that sticky, flexible glue I've seen used inside cheap Asian made toys, radios etc. from back in the 80s would be ideal to keep the wires stuck in place and not overly impossible to remove if wished.
Perhaps something similar could be bought as a glue stick?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Any type of "contact cement/adhesive".

Usually it entails coating each of the surfaces to be joined with a thin layer, letting it dry for a few minutes and then when clamped together, it goes no-where.

Of course one can use it also as you describe to hold wiring if you put a dob of it on top, just might take a few minutes to stay put, depending on the pressure on the cabling.

Attachments

• selleys-kwik-grip.jpg
    selleys-kwik-grip.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 118

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
'Evo Stik' was commonly used by the old British Post Office for securing telephone cables along flat surfaces (honestly!) before common sense prevailed and they started using proper clips.

But Evo Stik - the stuff that sets reasonably 'hard' and looks like sticky brown toffee - is still found on many circuit boards.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As if you don't have enough advice already, my input is to be very careful about what you decide to use. With all of the enviro-friendly changes to the old tried-and-true chemicals that are now banned because they might harm the environment, the marketplace is flooded with new chemicals that don't work effectively, or don't hold-up over time.
If I were you, I'd make sure the wires I use can withstand the heat of hot-glue (as there is some really cheap wire-insulation popping-up out there), and that the chemical in whatever adhesive you use, doesn't interact or deteriorate the wire insulation on the wire you use. I can't tell you how many times I've had to repair connections because the adhesive melted the wire insulation through chemical reaction over time.
I cable-lace most of the work I do for strain relief, and though you don't want to, I use epoxy to secure wires I don't want to move around, ... but I use Teflon-coated wire in most everything I do.
Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.