Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rutland ESB57 Energiser low voltage help! (2)

Pike7919

Jul 4, 2023
Hi, this is quite an old thread.. I have the same energizer, it just beeps continuously the moment the battery is connected.. I measured (using my multimeter) the capacitance of the storage (3.3uF) capacitor and it was toast, like 0.125uF.. Ive got a known good 2.2uF and it does indeed pulse again but no led light and the annoying beep.. Im pretty sure the beeper chirps to indicate low battery.. Anyone got any ideas.. I wonder if this energizer, being microprocessor controlled has some kind of self test and thats why it beeps..

Moderators note: Moved necropost to its own thread.
Link to origenal thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The energy level is pursuant to the value of the capacitor and the circuitry that detects a 'correct level' pulse would not get the right signal and thereby reports a 'low battery' as the alternative cause.

Fit the right value capacitor.

Pike7919

Jul 4, 2023
The energy level is pursuant to the value of the capacitor and the circuitry that detects a 'correct level' pulse would not get the right signal and thereby reports a 'low battery' as the alternative cause.

Fit the right value capacitor.
Possibly, I used a spare 2uF pulse grade cap, unit actually works fine but now it will have low output. Now for that continuous tone from the sounder, I tested the SMT transistor next to the sounder using the "diode" test on my multimeter and found it to be "leaky" in that when tested I got a reading in both directions, ie the multimeter probes reversed on same measurement points, it ought to be in one direction only, like measuring a diode,. Its marked up X2 (a KST4401), changed that and it works fine, as in, beeps and led lights simultaneously to indicate "low battery". Waiting on some quality caps now then profile it's output... The original (LCR 3.3uF) capacitor had 0.142uF and was extreamly leaky on my Calson's capacitance leakage tester, a very useful device to check the capacitors health.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
quick sniff on Diode test found the SMT next to the sounder was leaky
What is leaky?
The original cap had 0.142uF and was extreamly leaky on my Calson's leakage tester
What is extremely leaky?
How leaky can it be?
Will it still work if it's a little leaky? or tiny leaky?
How leaky does it have to be before you replace it?
Can you see it leaking?
What leaks out?
Can you just tape up the leak?
Can you stop it from leaking?
Just wondering? I never used a Carlson leakage tester.

Pike7919

Jul 4, 2023
What is leaky?
my bad, the SMT (surface mount technology) bi-polar transistor.
What is extremely leaky?
The 3.3uF storage capacitor
How leaky can it be?
Bad enough in that you wouldn't feel anything if you stuffed the HT output on your tongue.. (Please don't try)
Will it still work if it's a little leaky? or tiny leaky?
Yes however capacitors age, the older they get = less output from your energizer. Transistor wise, it's not working correctly so needed replacing.
How leaky does it have to be before you replace it?
When you no longer have any livestock
Can you see it leaking?
nope - but you have to measure it.
What leaks out?
electrons - that ought to be used to effectively keep livestock safe
Can you just tape up the leak?
not that kinda leak
Can you stop it from leaking?
yes, by replacing it
Just wondering? I never used a Carlson leakage tester.
its very useful...

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Very informative thank you for answering my questions
Bad enough in that you wouldn't feel anything if you stuffed the HT output on your tongue.. (Please don't try)
This answer just peaks my curiosity I'm going to have to try this! thanks again...