Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ryobi 18v sprayer diaphragm pump help

Drew_1734

Oct 19, 2022
Bought an 18v Ryobi garden sprayer off of FB, could not get it to turn on, seller sent refund and told me to keep it. So now I am determined to fix this thing as cheap as possible. Attached pictures showing corrosion around the contacts at the motor. There are also corrosion marks at the switch where this turned on. It looks as though there is some rust specifically around the black connection on the motor, I am assuming this is from prior storage after a leak that never got detected in the chemical jug.

Question: If I clean the connection points around the terminals and the device still does not turn on, is it safe to assume the pump is beyond repair and will need a new diaphragm pump to work? I am not familiar with this type of thing so I do not know if the motor can reach a point where it is basically bricked.

I can buy a new 18 will pump from China on eBay for super cheap if this does not work, just really hoping simply cleaning the connections will allow me to power this back on. Any other tips you will have to get this folder up and running for as cheap as possible?

Attachments

• IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Does the motor actually turn? You might be able to get hold of the protruding shaft on the rear of it to see?

Assuming it turns, can you see the motor commutator and brushes (through the side of the motor) and are they complete/corrosion-free?

You could apply 12V directly to the motor to see if it runs.

Drew_1734

Oct 19, 2022
Does the motor actually turn? You might be able to get hold of the protruding shaft on the rear of it to see?

Assuming it turns, can you see the motor commutator and brushes (through the side of the motor) and are they complete/corrosion-free?

You could apply 12V directly to the motor to see if it runs.
The brushes look to have slight corrosion but I can freely turn the motor with my bare fingers from the back. Not sure if this matters but the "coiling"? inside the motor looks great. Common sense tells me that the corroded connections are all that need to be cleaned to fix this but again im no expert with this. Going to try to clean the terminals tonight to see.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Battery probably knackered too.
Ryobi are not what you would call "quality gear".
Few tests with a multimeter would eliminate a lot of possibilities.
"Looking" at electrical can work at times but not that often.