Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Safely working with abs box or what other plastic

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
i am using Arduino to make electronic projects. I have several projects with 16x2 lcds and wanted to cut abs project boxes to fit the display. I am one of the worlds worst person with tools so I have a hard time cutting the proper size. I was going to laser cut the rectangle for the lcd to fit in and found out that using a laser on abs was extremely dangerous. So is using a dremel tool with a high speed cutting wheel dangerous as well since heat is created as well. Are there plastic boxes available that can be laser cut without producing a dangerous fume?

Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Like yourself I've found difficulty getting a clean, straight cut on box cut-outs so now make the cutout 'about' the right size then use a piece of thin black card which I cut using a modelling blade (very sharp, straight, neat edge) and put that over the cut-out in the box and then fit a clear plastic 'lens' over the lot.

This also allows you to print text on the card (if you need to) and makes for a very professional finish. All the manufacturers do this too although they still make the cutout 'neat and tidy'!

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
Like yourself I've found difficulty getting a clean, straight cut on box cut-outs so now make the cutout 'about' the right size then use a piece of thin black card which I cut using a modelling blade (very sharp, straight, neat edge) and put that over the cut-out in the box and then fit a clear plastic 'lens' over the lot.

This also allows you to print text on the card (if you need to) and makes for a very professional finish. All the manufacturers do this too although they still make the cutout 'neat and tidy'!
Thanks for the reply. I have been researching this and think I have a solution. I will report back when I have an answer