Maker Pro
Maker Pro

salt swimming pool chlorinator

Lionel44

Jan 11, 2014
I have a chlorinator that converts salt into chlorine. it is basically a series of electrode plates enclosed in a plastic tube with 5v dc across the 2 terminals. it also has a 3rd terminal which is I presume is a sensor of some kind. The question is how does this sensor regulate the current. I have turned the control up to maximum but I can only manage 50% output. Any help will help me determine whether the electrodes or the unit should be worked on.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually they operate with more than 5v.
Most I've ever had anything to do with were up around the 24v mark.

Last edited:

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Lionel, is this the same chlorinator you posted about back in 2014?
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/threads/chloromatic-esr160-pool-chlorinator.266814/

I have turned the control up to maximum but I can only manage 50% output.

50% of what output? If you're referring to specs or ratings printed somewhere, then there may not be anything wrong with your equipment. The rated Amperage of most electronic equipment is usually the maximum current the equipment can operate at without burning up, but it doesn't normally operate at that current (except perhaps sometimes during heavy demand, depending on the equipment. You may just be measuring its normal operating current.

Lionel44

Jan 11, 2014
Usually they operate with more than 5v.
Most I've ever had anything to do with were up around the 24v mark.
thanks guys,
yes it is the same one, an Australian - Chloromatic ESR160. it has a digital instrument meter, range 0-120. the most it shows is approx 50. with a warning light saying the unit may damage if operated below 70!! .its been sitting at the back of the shed since then, I've decided to connect it up again and have another crack at it. I cant find any maintenance manuals.
I measure 5 volts across the electrode main terminals.
the 24 volts sounds logical. I'll take it to bits and check out the transformers and rectifiers first.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
yes it is the same one, an Australian - Chloromatic ESR160. it has a digital instrument meter, range 0-120. the most it shows is approx 50. with a warning light saying the unit may damage if operated below 70!!

Okay, if that meter's range is from 0 to 120, I'm going to take a wild guess that it doesn't measure a percentage of anything. In fact, it might not be measuring anything electronic at all. If it can damage it to operate below "70" of whatever units of whatever measurement it's displaying, it could be showing, e.g., pressure of something, somewhere in the system. Are there no markings indicating what the meter is displaying? PSI? Pa? Whatever, if it's reading below what it should to operate safely, that's probably your biggest clue to what's wrong with the chlorinator. The problem may not be electronic at all.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

To have more an idea where you are talking about, I have here the manual.

Bertus

Attachments

• Chloromatic-esr-esc-manual.pdf
    669.3 KB · Views: 6

Lionel44

Jan 11, 2014
Okay, if that meter's range is from 0 to 120, I'm going to take a wild guess that it doesn't measure a percentage of anything. In fact, it might not be measuring anything electronic at all. If it can damage it to operate below "70" of whatever units of whatever measurement it's displaying, it could be showing, e.g., pressure of something, somewhere in the system. Are there no markings indicating what the meter is displaying? PSI? Pa? Whatever, if it's reading below what it should to operate safely, that's probably your biggest clue to what's wrong with the chlorinator. The problem may not be electronic at all.
I think it measures the conductivity of the water. I have added extra salt to the pool but it makes negligible difference

Lionel44

Jan 11, 2014
Hello,

To have more an idea where you are talking about, I have here the manual.

Bertus
Thanks Bertus, the manual answers a lot of questions. and posed more! A detailed circuit would helpful
Do you have a chlorinator? what voltage is there across the electrodes? i only get 5v.
the pool light tx in the manual shows 12, 22 and 32v I suspect a similar voltage should be across the electrodes.
the manual says the meter measures the Flow, so what does the system regulator control??
how do you know how much chlorine it is producing?
I think I will have to tap my pool suppliers brain a bit.. they are reluctant to give any info apart from wanting to look at it themselves.