Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Salty ground voltage

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Hi all,

I hope - you clever people can enlighten me on strange phenomenon I observed today ...

In a small patch of salty wet ground I stuck two rods, copper and Aluminium, no matter the distance the voltage reading was always 0.6V, the copper side being the +.
Can someone please explain what is happening here? is it a galvanic reaction? will the rods eventually corrode?

Many thanks.

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for your reply - M,

can the said corrosion be reversed by applying a voltage to the cell?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If the copper has diffused away from the electrode it will not be possible to recover it. Copper can be refined by electrolysis.
Aluminium cannot be plated, it is much too reactive and will be locked in a compund. Aluminium is produced by electrolysis of molten aluminium fluoride to produce molten aluminium. Lots of energy needed.
Sodium clay has been transformed to stronger aluminium clay by in situ electrolysis.

seza

Nov 6, 2015
thanks for the explanation ...
If I am to protect the electrodes by covering then with a thin layer plastic film will
that stop the galvanic reaction?
another of putting it ... can I have a galvanic cell reaction with corrosion?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If you cover the electrode with an insulating film, then it will not be an electrode.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
How about telling what you are hoping ot accomplish be sticking two rods of different metals into the ground.

Bob