Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung 26in LCD TV Strobing / Flickering on and off, help!

ian1

Feb 23, 2013
Hi

Can anyone help me please.

Model Number: Samsung LE26R41BDX 26in LCD TV

Had it 6-7 years? been really good Tv and been pleased with it.

The last week it has been playing up. When I turn on TV after about 15 mins the picture strobes / flickers on and off. This happens on all inputs.

Turning of TV off for 20 seconds and turning back on again picture fixes it, but it soon returns to flicker / strobing after 5 mins. putting ear to back can here Tick, tick, tick, tick noise in time with blinking on and of picture if that helps.

Blinking has got steadily worse and I can't use it now

Have read that it could be:

Capacitor needs replacing? (but they look fine to me, not bulging at top? Can they be not bulging at top and be faulty?)

Any one experienced this, any ideas?

Thinking of buying a new power board, would this fix the problem? (i.e is the chance that this area of the tv is the issue) i'm a bit stuck what to do now.

thanks for any help,
Ian

Attachments

• 2013-02-23_11-59-35_HDR.jpg
    2013-02-23_11-59-35_HDR.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 2013-02-23_12-00-27_HDR.jpg
    2013-02-23_12-00-27_HDR.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 2013-02-23_11-58-18_HDR.jpg
    2013-02-23_11-58-18_HDR.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 398
  • 2013-02-23_11-56-31_HDR.jpg
    2013-02-23_11-56-31_HDR.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 215
  • LE26R41BDX_rev.jpg
    LE26R41BDX_rev.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG3420.jpg
    IMG3420.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

ian1

Feb 23, 2013
update!

I took back of TV and turned it on. Watched some TV until picture started flickering. There is a noise coming from the bottom left of the TV. Which seemed to be coming from two white round things on their sides with wire coils around them. So I blew on them (thinking to cool them down) and the picture stopped blinking!

So I'm thinking that these are the source of the problem (over heating) they can be see in pic 6 of 6 bottom left!

ANYONE know what they are or if they are easy to replace?? but I'm thinking this could be it!

Will now try and find out more about what they are etc...

if anyone know what they are and if easy to get part would be great :)

Ian

ian1

Feb 23, 2013
What is this 'Electronic component'? cylinder coil in my TV?

Been having problems with my 6yr old Samsung LCD 26in TV picture flickering.

I think I might know where issue is coming from. (heat related)

Does anyone know what these are: (the white on their side round things with coils round them) see picture bottom left, there are 2 of them.

When I blow on them picture stops flickering!

are they easy to get?

my original post is here:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/samsung-26in-lcd-tv-strobing-flickering-and-off-help-t257482.html

Attachments

• IMG3420.jpg
    IMG3420.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 320

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Very curious.

Those appear to be part of the mains filtering, and I would not expect them to make a sound, OR be affected by heat in the manner you explain.

However I also don't consider it unlikely that the problem is exacerbated by heat.

I would definitely NOT be sticking my finger in there to see if they're hot (even after you remove the power). If you have access to an IR thermometer then that would be good to determine if they are getting hot.

Blowing can be a little risky because you can spit on your board.

Blowing is also not very controlled and you may have cooled something else. cans of "compressed air" (they are often cans of propellant) can be used. Beware that they can be flammable. The gas often comes out quite cold and that can be used to cool a single component (via the thin tube these usually come with).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Starting multiple threads is a waste of time for us and can make you a very unpopular person. Please don't do it.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Have you checked for dry solder joints on the underside of the power supply PCB?

At the same time, you can check for board discolouration that would indicate overheated component(s), and temporarily remove any medium-sized electrolytic capacitors to measure them and/or see whether they seem unusually light (because the electrolyte has evaporated) or bulging or leaking at the bottom.

ian1

Feb 23, 2013
I took TV apart again. lol! and looked carefully to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary. But couldn't.

I looked at the back of the board and its really not to bad, all solders look silver and looks in good condition.

So decided cleaning would not fix anything.

-----------

Put TV bad together now.

I am now just trying to work out if the problem is most likely on the power board. As I am going to buy a used one on ebay for £22. to save me repair cost which I guess will be a lot? :/

This what I have worked out, My conclusion:

1) When Flickering picture happens, turning off TV and turning straight back on fixes it for about 2 minutes.
2) Getting a piece of paper and waving it over the top air vents (i.e fanning) also stops flickering for about 2 minutes.

If anyone knows what it might be I would be very grateful.

p.s sorry for posting 2 questions

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would say that there is something getting hot that shouldn't be.

OR

There is something that is being affected by getting hot (that shouldn't be getting hot, or shouldn't be affected).

22 quid may be a lot if the answer is a bad joint, or even if it's (say) a bad capacitor. It may be less if you value your time and it takes hours to find the fault. It may turn out to be expensive again if it doesn't fix the fault, or if the fault returns.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
You can buy "rapid freeze" spray. It comes with a long nozzle that you can use to freeze components almost one-at-a-time.

If you find that spraying almost anywhere causes the fault to disappear for a while, try to find the most sensitive area - the area that responds most quickly to the spray, and where the fault disappears for the longest time before recurring.

BlinkingLeds

Feb 23, 2013
I would say that it is extremely unlikely that those white filtering inductors make any clicking noise or overheat to the point of being an issue. The clicking noise must be a relay of some sort. Also check the power plug and other connections.
Try moving some parts gently back and forth with a PLASTIC tool and wearing thick rubber GLOVES.

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH NAKED HANDS OR WITH METAL TOOL AS YOU MAY GET A LETHAL SHOCK OR SHORT CIRCUIT SOMETHING.

If you move something and you hear the clicking sound again, then this probably means that the part you're moving is not soldered properly.

Last edited:

ian1

Feb 23, 2013
FIXED!! SOLVED!

Just wanted to post this if it helps anyone with same issue:

Put in used power board I brought on Ebay. The problem is now fixed.

thank you for your help I believe it was indeed dry solder joints causing this issue. I am not an electrician but looking very closely they did have less solder than the ones on replacement board.

there were quite a few small components with not much solder on topside of board way to hard for me to do without mucking up soldering. Main ones seemed to be around the metal heat coolers.

thank you

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
fault you have may be due to your invertor pcb -there is a repair kit available for the psu on your model however which cures quite a few common faults-depends how good you are with your soldering if in any doubt give it to someone experienced with this sort of repair-i have spent many a happy hour repairing sets with extra faults introduced by customers due to poor soldering and incorrect components being fitted etc