Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung inverter board LED Fail

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I was given an old 2017 smart fridge that has 3 PCB boards in back. 1. The mains board, 2. The "Inverter Board", and 3. The system board. All the controls on the front panel work, the thermostats appear to be sending signal properly, and all the lights inside the fridge turn on when its plugged in! wow..
anyway, it needs a new compressor, $150, and the inverter board LED is dead.
I understand om my hacking... that the Inverter board LED sends a coded flash sequence that tells you what's wrong with the fridge when everything is hooked up to the mains and properly grounded.

Because I don't know anything about this fridge other than it was free and it all lights up like a christmas tree, and because my kegerator compressor failed and this one is destined to be my Hojo of all keggerators, I would like to get it up and running properly.

Inside the electronics compartment, there are a pair of connectors that aren't connected to anything. One is a pair, the other has 3 or 5 pins. I would assume they probably have something to do with the reason I can't get any support for the fridge from Samsung, like maybe a Smart module that proved the next door neighbor kids hacking was better than the Samsung engineers network security, or a terminal store memory for the Samsung repair guy to download function for product betterment or something. Anyway. I can't get any support at all.

The fact is that this kind of thing is why our country is failing. Non-Support. There is a law that says that if you build something, you are responsible for it. But I'm not trying to get Samsung to pay for the problem. I'm trying to get my beer cold! So I will assume that you understand the situation, and go from here...

I would probably need a doctorate in electronics or will have one before I am finished with this project or something.
So starting out-
BIG QUESTION THEN

How do I test the inverter board, if there are components missing that I don't know about?

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
four board, four door, french style fridge, with wifi enabled nextdoor neighbor activation and touch sensor controls.

patiently waiting for my manual...

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
anyway, it needs a new compressor,
...and someone to fit it..... this requires vacuum pumps and refrigerant plus (probably) a new evaporator. The pump fitting also requires to be solder/brazed to the existing pipework. Do you get all that for your $150?

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
yep.. pro handyman.. I got just about everything anybody needs to do anything with....
I got rid of my torches because I was getting razzed by the refrig and ac guys... so guess what has happened...
I pulled the inverter board out, sucked a vacuum into the system, and it stuck at 10 all night, and then I used the reset codes in the repair manual, and the inverter light came on!!!! wow what a find...! Still haven't Identified the to connectors yet, although it is supposed to have some kind of option that plugs in there... maybe some other day...

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I got the fridge part cooling yesturday. This is a blast! I am really having alot of fun!!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Freezer isn't working now, but, and I say but...
The inverterboard has power running across the top of the caps.... I mean is it supposed to shock me when I touch the top of the caps???

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
inverter was flashing 3 times, said something about wrong polarity somewhere, then it flashed 4 times said something about the soldering terminals on the bottom of the inverter board, and then I thought maybe I would touch the two caps on the board...!!!!!
bad idea!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
This is the one that shocked me.
Index finger on one cap, middle finger on the other, apply slight pressure... WOW.... WHAT A RUSH!!!

Attachments

• samsinv.jpg
    samsinv.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 0

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
So if it is an intermittent problem, then the drill down says, loose connection somewhere...
I checked the back side of the board for solder fails.... looks good...
there is a 5 pinout says Test 1 Test 2 NRST (nothing) Grnd, what is NRST(reset?) and what is the testing that needs to be performed?

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The board, um forgot what I was gonna ask everytime I log on.... let me think... duh hey
I REMEMBER !!!!!!!
I REMEMBER !!!!!!
I REMEMBER !!!

The inverter board is 220v and says
ISB-LC3_3050_V2
VDE 220-240~50Hz T85
220V-60Hz

200-240V |100-127v
250v-T5AL | 250V T6.3AL

Its a 220v fridge in a 120v country...