Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung LED Monitor with Dark Bands

stompinbob

Oct 5, 2022
Hi,

I've had a Samsung monitor (S27D360) since 2014 and it's served me well, but in the past month or so a dark gradient appears along either the top, middle, or bottom of the screen a fraction of a second after turning on. (see this video for an example.) It first started happening after I left it running over a weekend trip, so a component may have failed from overheating or something similar.

When I reset the settings and it reboots the monitor, it seems to appear around the same time as the on-screen menu, and so my hunch is that there's some issue in that realm, but I have no clue.

It's not exactly a high-end monitor, but I've had it since middle school and I'm pretty sentimental about it (and it still performs great).

Anyone have advice for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the display is back-lit by CFLs (quite common for that period) then one of them is nearly dud and set to fail completely in a short time. Short of replacing the tube (perhaps all of them given its age) there's little you can do to fix it. Tubes will be hard to find (I suspect) and even though LED conversion kits may be available the cost, when set against a replacement monitor, wouldn't be very good value.