Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung LED TV - virtual lines appearing (UNxxD8000 series)

KZ34

Aug 13, 2014
Hi, I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with a Samsung LED TV (UN55D8000)

It was working perfectly until recently when it started to display some vertical lines. It seems to be something color related. There are a bunch of thin vertical lines that show up and fill out in the middle of the screen (in fixed positions). They only appear when certain colors are displayed and fill out based on what color is displayed in each pixel on the screen. For most green colors and other bright colors - the line will fill out with a dark blue or an offset of the color shown. Other colors - the lines wont show up at all. If I go into the samsung menu and set the tv to black/white only (color=0) - no lines appear anymore.

This video is of the same issue and will give a good example of whats happening:

I haven't been able to dig up much info about why/what this is happening and how to fix it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I'll post an update if I'm able to resolve it but so far no luck.

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is possible that there is some damage to the contacts around the edge of the display. This is something which is very hard to repair.

Do you get the same set of vertical lines all the time (is the OSD and start screen all similarly affected?)

KZ34

Aug 13, 2014
It is possible that there is some damage to the contacts around the edge of the display. This is something which is very hard to repair.

Do you get the same set of vertical lines all the time (is the OSD and start screen all similarly affected?)

Hi Steve - yes everything is affected - start screen / all inputs / etc. I'm going to open it up this weekend to poke around and check ribbon cable connections. Is there something else I should look for or do you think the only real option would be to replace the panel?