Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Schematic to reality conversion

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
as what you said, i can put the positive side on the source and the negative on the drain or reversed but when i look at the official site of the ruby amp i saw the perf board layout that the positive is soldered on the drain, but i didn't saw the negative side on where to put it.

omg! I still can't find 2n5457! Can i use 2n5458 instead? Should i say at the store for a fet one of this? Or they are all the same

and the jacks, it has 3 rings when i searched for it, and you mentioned only two.

what kind of wire to use?

thnxt in advance, almost getting started!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
as what you said, i can put the positive side on the source and the negative on the drain or reversed but when i look at the official site of the ruby amp i saw the perf board layout that the positive is soldered on the drain, but i didn't saw the negative side on where to put it.

Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying you can't figure out where one lead of the FET goes?

omg! I still can't find 2n5457! Can i use 2n5458 instead? Should i say at the store for a fet one of this? Or they are all the same
The 5458 should be fine. If they don't have that, just ask for a general purpose N channel FET. Or get a list of devices they do have and someone can look them u for you. But it shouldn't be too critical in a circuit like this.

and the jacks, it has 3 rings when i searched for it, and you mentioned only two.
He did :) tip, ring, sleeve

what kind of wire to use?
Thin, flexible, stranded "hookup" wire. if you can, get a couple of colours, maybe a metre or so of each. That way you can colour code things. red and black for +ve and gnd, maybe another colour for your input and output.

Ask your supplier what they have. Tell them you're building a low power amplifier. The wires won't be carrying even 1 Amp, so pretty thin wire will be fine.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
2N5458 is also a general purpose JFET. I'll stick my neck out and say it'll work too. Do a Google search on it and you'll find the pinouts. Put the Negative on the Source. Hope my drawing of the plug clears things up. 22 gauge stranded wire should be adequate.

Attachments

• Guitar Plug.jpg
    Guitar Plug.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
If your having problem sourcing MPF102 or equivalent. Try omit or removed mpf102, 1M5, 3K9and 47n. You can directly connect your input signal on top terminal of 10K volume control. This might save you time and components for building your amp.

You can test your amp without the signal from guitar by touching w/ your finger the top side of volume control 10k. You can hear 60hz signal on your speaker. Then test your guitar w/ the amplifier w/ 10k volume on max. position. If output on speaker was weak. Then you really need to put back mpf102 and other componets for higher current signal for input of IC 386 audio amplifier.

Just to inform you. MPF102 was available in Alexan Commercial.ph

Last edited:

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
to clear out on what i say,
steve what im asking is where to put the positive side and the negative side of the 9v battery, and since they already answered it, i will put the positive on the drain and the negative on source.

almost done, would 2n5458 would make great changes? I just want to know. Hehehe.

the last thing, im asking again about the input jack, i mean the female where you plug the cord, should i use mono or stereo? And if you could, pls tell me how to wire it, i dont know where each pin go..

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Here is some useful information on how to use breadboards:
http://www.millard.k12.ut.us/schools/dhs/cosmic/breadboard tutorial.pdf
More, if you just google breadboard.

You could also use the tumbtack technique - almost forgotten now - as explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard under the heading "Evolution". You can see pictures here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-a-real-Bread-Board-for-prototyping-your-circui/ [sic]. It doesn't have to be a real breadboard, as shown, any piece of plywood will do. No need for drilling holes.

By the way: That technique seems to be the origin of the name breadboard.

Regards,
Harald

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
to clear out on what i say,
steve what im asking is where to put the positive side and the negative side of the 9v battery, and since they already answered it, i will put the positive on the drain and the negative on source.

eeek! no!

Look at the circuit diagram -- that shows you where to connect the power.

or look at the matrix board layout (if you're making it that way.

ruby-perf.png

almost done, would 2n5458 would make great changes? I just want to know. Hehehe.

I thought I said that should be OK.

the last thing, im asking again about the input jack, i mean the female where you plug the cord, should i use mono or stereo? And if you could, pls tell me how to wire it, i dont know where each pin go..

it's a mono amplifier, so use a mono socket.

Get a matching plug and use a multimeter to determine where the tip and the sleeve connect to.

Tip is your input, sleeve is ground.

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
steve, im following the matrix layout, look, the positive 9v is connected on D.how about the negative side?

is it wrong to put the negative on s? I saw your reply saying "eeek! no!"

how about the tip? Is that the one which i should connect to G? How about the sleeve?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The negative side is ground, as is the sleeve of your input signal and (from memory) one of the output leads.

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
ok thanks! So i'll just wire the sleeve to the negative side of the battery.. Does it have a ring? Or just tip and sleeve?

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
hey steve! I got a mono jack already woooh! And it has only 2 idk, maybe teeth? Or tip? And the longer one. I'll post a link 4 d pic.

Short story of transistor.
When i got to a store, i asked for a 2n5458 then he said it costs 30 php, so i tried to another store and boooom! It is only 6 php.
The end.

any idea for the speaker? How many watts and ohms?
P.s the size of a pringles can pls.

edit: here's the link.
11.jpg

studiosoundelectronics.com/11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
An 8 ohm 1/8W speaker is fine.

Find something which physically fits and you'll probably find it's OK.

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
hey steve how do i know which one is the tip? Is that the one which is close to the hole? What? Any pic? Ok almost done! Last one is speaker!

oh wait, i think it's impossible to find 1/8 watt speaker, they dont even have 1/2 watt. How about a 5 watt 16 ohms? Subwoofer or what?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Stick the plug in and measure with a multimeter which terminal is connected where. It should be obvious, but with some sockets things get hidden a bit.

Anything 8 ohms or greater and 1/8 watt or greater will be safe. Higher power speakers may be less efficient and higher impedances will result in lower power being transferred to the speaker.

You want to find something like this.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
An 8 ohm 1/8W speaker is fine.

Find something which physically fits and you'll probably find it's OK.
Why do you say 1/8 Watt? The '386 can put out as much as1 Watt, and this circuit is designed to drive the amp to clipping. I think an 1/8 watt speaker is asking for trouble.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Good point. I looked at some brief specs and it listed the output power as 125mW. Reading the datasheet it appears that this is the power at which the distortion figure is quoted at.

It would be interesting to know what power source is going to be used for this amplifier. If it's a 9V 216 style battery (which is what I assumed based on the power *I thought* this amplifier produced) it may have quite a short life.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The page with the circuit on it suggested 8 AA cells.

Bob

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
steve, i still dont know where is the tip and the ring (or sleeve. Idk),, can you pls edit the pic i posted and label them. How do i connect them to my board? I searched the net already but i cant find what i want.