Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Schematic to reality conversion

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Insert the plug into the socket.

Use your multimeter to determine which lug the tip and sleeve are connected to.

The tip is the bit of metal on the err tip of the plug. Then there's a ring of insulation, then there's the sleeve.

For stereo plugs, there's an additional metal ring between the tip and the sleeve, with insulating rings separating it from the tip and the sleeve.

You'll notice that the big piece of metal on the rear of the socket presses against the tip. On this particular socket (but not on some others) you can see which lug it connects to. The other one must therefore be connected to the sleeve.

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
aw come on, it's not that im not trying to understand what you are saying but im slow for this topic. O, i wish you posted a pic or vid or whatever. I dont have a multimeter.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I can't believe I'm doing this.

Plug6mm.jpg

Can you see the differences between the stereo and mono plug?

The mono one, has a tip (on the left) which is silver and pointy and then a larger cylindrical silver part which we will call the sleeve. Further beyond that are the connections hidden under the protective insulating cover.

The stereo one has three silvery bits, from left to right tip, rung, and sleeve. Ignore this because apparently you are using a mono plug and socket.

This image shows them in more detail:

449404_com_3m5jack.gif

Here is your socket:

11.jpg

The plug goes in from underneath and the tip makes a connection with the large metallic bit that sticking up. If you look carefully you can see it is connected to the lug on the left.

The sleeve makes contact as it goes through the hole and it's pretty clearly the lug on the right.

Sleeve is ground, tip is your input signal.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Made in China Multimeter was very cheap in Philippines. Buy one and this will save you from mistakes and time to finish your project.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
You may want to invest in a multimeter. It will make your life ten times easier. Like not having to wait for an answer to a problem that you could have solved with one. :)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Not to mention that fact that, if what you are going to plug in is a guitar, it makes absolutely no difference which lead is connected to ground. A guitar pickup is nothing but a coil of wire and nether side is connected to any ground. And if the amp is battery powered, it is also floaing unless you have explicity attacted it to a ground somewhere.

Bob

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
One of the most valuable pieces of test equipment you can own is a multimeter. Make it a goal to get one.
Now for the Jack: if you look closely follow the metal from the tab I labeled TIP. it is the same piece of metal that will make contact with the TIP of the Plug. That will be your Signal Input connection.
Now look at the SLEEVE tab it will be the same piece of metal as the center (RING) of the socket. That will make contact with the Sleeve of the Plug. That is going to be connected to GROUND 99.999% of the time .
One note: The term sleeve and ring are often interchanged. They mean the same thing.
I know how it is when parts are hard to come by so if your real in learning electronics keep an eye out for people's discarded stuff so you can 'harvest ' the parts. Not only will you get a supply of parts but you'll get an idea of how things are put together.

Attachments

• Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 97

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
alfa you got the right answer ! That is what im looking for! Super duper thank you!

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Poor old Steve never got any credit :(

Nevermind - There's a cold beer in the post instead - umm but I did away with the can and use a standard paper envelope to save on postage.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Some people offered help but not waiting for reward. I'm sure (*steve*) was one of them.;)

electronoobz, pasalamat ka naman.:D

Last edited:

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
oops i forgot to mention coz i got excited to build it, sorry steve, you are the one who helps me in the time of need. Thanks steve! Thanks!

Rleo6965 ayos b plusot ko? Bute pnaalala mo. Hehehe.