Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Securing LED to heat sink?

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
How do you secure your LED chips to heat sinks? Let's say you have something like this:

You can't use a small bolt and nut because the side with the finds won't let you insert the nut. I thought about using a tiny rivet, but the smallest diameter I have is still too big for the holes on the chip.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600a.jpg

[mod note - resized huge images]

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You can't use a small bolt and nut because the side with the finds won't let you insert the nut.

self tapping screws would be my thought .... drill small holes into the heatsink for a start, a little smaller than the self tapper
make sure you remove all the burrs to give a flat surface to mount the LED on

Edit .... ohhh and make sure you use some heatsink paste between heatsink and LED

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The problem with adhesive is that when you want to remove the device you can't, and when you don't want it to release it does.

If neither of these problems is significant, then it's a solution.

I would recommend that you clamp it is place while the adhesive sets. You want to ensure the thinnest layer possible covering the largest area attainable. The easiest way is to use the screws that @davenn mentioned. If you're doing that, then you may as well leave them in place, and if you do that, why bother with the glue?

If you can arrange another means of clamping it that does't damage the LED module, then go with that if its easier.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Those screws are probably way too small. The holes in the led module are about 3mm in diameter aren't they?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
BUY little screws? Heh, after cannibalizing things for years I have drawers full. Self-tapping or not, mainly you just need a decent quality screw. Grab some old widget with a plastic casing and you might have two screws from it.

The key is having a good assortment of drill bit sizes so you can drill the hole just barely undersized and having a high quality screwdriver and attention to detail so you don't round out the head.

Those LEDs aren't really meant to be mounted with screws through the holes, rather screws on opposite sides at the ears. You can use a fairly large screw, or rivet, just get the spacing of your holes right.

What size is that heatsink? Are you sure it's enough for a 10W LED (or whatever power you intend to run it at) ?
Seems like you could drill holes between the fins, use long screws that extend past the fins and then put a nut on.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Drill and Tap fixing holes of an appropriate size. If the holes are 3mm dia then drill and tap for M2.5 or M2. It's not difficult. Just remember to remove any burr you create.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Just take care not to short the + to the - with the heatsink!

Fan Jia

Mar 9, 2018
Drill holes into the appropriate size, and be careful not to hurt yourself. That's the only one idea I can think of. :)

lehugil

May 18, 2018
the connection should be seamless, otherwise, there will be a layer of air inside that greatly reduce the efficiency of the whole heat sink system