Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seeking a voice changer with mic and amplifier in order to communicate with hearing impaired

VermontDiva

Nov 30, 2018
Hello.

My husband cannot hear high frequencies. His latest hearing check-up confirmed the sad fact that he is "profoundly deaf" when it comes to the higher frequencies. I would like to be able to speak to him in real time through a voice changing gadget that lowers the pitch of my voice and either connects to an amplifier or to a set of ear buds or earphones (via blue tooth technology, I assume.) I can't find anything like this online. There are plenty of voice-changing toys, but the reviews indicate that they are just that--toys. There are iPhone apps that change your voice, but they only allow you to record what you have said. I need one to work in real time, in order to aid in conversation. Does anyone know of such a device?

Thank you.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
My pretty bad high frequency hearing loss is normal for my age (73). I cannot hear many things said to me or the telephone or TV and radio without my hearing aids. But my hearing aids make my hearing normal again. The audiologist tried shifting down high frequencies but it sounded so weird that I didn't like it and more boost was added to high frequencies instead. The hearing aids are directional, picking up voices in one direction and blocking background sounds in other directions. The hearing aids have a noise reduction mode that I use in a mall or walking beside a noisy street. They have a mode where sensitivity is increased then I can hear sounds and people far away. They also have a "music" mode where the other tricks are turned off and a "mute" mode I use when my dog is barking. Of course my hearing aids compress very loud sounds.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Do you know what frequencies he can hear? I am skeptical that lowering the frequency of your voice will help.

Can he understand people with unusually low voices? If so, it might help, particularly if your voice is high.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Just had a thought. If you have a PC, get the free sound editing program called Audacity. On it, you can record your voice and lower the pitch to determine whether it works.

Bob