Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seeking Advice for Buck Converters

goodjboy

Apr 27, 2012
Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I have a 30 watt solar panel and I wired 2 buck converters to it. One buck convert changes the voltage from 19.5v to 12v. The other one drops the voltage from 19.5v to 5v. I use a 10 channel AA/AAA battery charger on the 12v line and a USB power supply for the 5v line.

Here is the issue. I think I need to use diodes because the 5v buck converter died. I put in a new buck converter and it started humming. When I shut off the 12v buck converter, the 5v buck converter stopped humming and worked fine. Then, when I turned the 12v buck converter back on, the 12v didn't supply power to the batteries and the 5v converter started humming again.

I have the two buck converters hookup in parallel with the panel and no diodes. Apparently, there is feedback occurring between these buck converters and I am thinking a few diodes would be the correct solution. For a 30w solar panel and 25w buck converters, what do you recommend I do? How do I use a diode? How do I wire it in? Do I put a diode on the positive line only or on both the positive and negative lines? Do I need two diodes or four? How do I know which direction to put the diode on the line?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
goodjboy,

What sort of buck converters? Can you link us to schematics or descriptions?

How big is the capacitor across the solar panel?

How about any capacitors that might be part of the buck converters?

What are you doing to ration power, when the loads would exceed the solar panel's output?

Ted