Maker Pro
Maker Pro

seeking advice on a tiny repair project - replacing a capacitor

Shavais

Apr 10, 2014
I have a baby monitor that I guess was dropped, and has stopped working. I took it apart, and I see that a capacitor has broken off the pcb, and has been bouncing around free inside the casing.

It would be interesting to try to procure and solder on a replacement (I'm pretty sure I see where it goes), but I have no idea how to go about determining the (capacitance) size of that capacitor (the leads have broken off inside the capacitor.. is there a way to tell from the (physical) size, shape and coloring?), or how to find a suitable replacement, or what kind of solder to use.. this is the first project of this type that I've considered embarking on for quite a long time.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Are there any markings on the part? How about posting close-up well lit photo.

Bob

Shavais

Apr 10, 2014
Thanks for the fast reply! I don't have it here at work, but this evening I'll see if I can get a photo of it uploaded.
Do you have any advice on where to look up things like this, and where to buy things like this?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
A picture would help. Mostly, to make sure it actually is a capacitor, and hopefully one that has information written on it. I don't know where you're at, but a lot of places sell small electronic parts. If you don't know of any in
your area (Fry's Electronics, a TV parts store), almost any computer repair place would carry a good stock of capacitors. This shouldn't be to difficult for you to fix (depending on what else might have broke inside this when it
hit the deck).