Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seeking Identification of Material

Chris Zanowick

Mar 19, 2018
Hello,

Does anyone know what the material is that is used in this video to seal the circuit board and hold it in its position? I just happen to have stumbled onto this video out of curiosity. Have been trying to identify or locate this material for a number of years now.

Not sure (or can't remember) if URLs are forbidden in posts. But, if you search for "XMHzb5S7X04" on YouTube's website, that will be the video to which I am referencing.

Thanks,
CZ

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Chris, that would be a clear potting resin/compound. It seals the board against harsh conditions. If you www search for “potting and encapsultion”, all your question will be answered.

Martin

Chris Zanowick

Mar 19, 2018
Hi Martin,

Thanks, that is what I needed was the specific description with which I needed to do the Internet search.

CZ

Chris Zanowick

Mar 19, 2018
Martin,

Is there a particular brand you can point me to or recommend? I am looking for that real clear stuff that is in the video.

In additional happenstance, a road construction crew cut the underground 50 pair telephone trunk to my complex last Thursday. The ATT guy used a special splicing kit which looked like it included a similar A-B equal parts sealing/encapsulating compound to protect the splice. The bi-part compound had 3M on the bag. It was a bit more yellow than the material used in the video.

Thanks,
CZ

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sorry, I can’t really be specific. But it’s either waterproof, uv, silicone, poly etc. If it’s underground, any potting should suffice. Ie, no UV etc. 3M is just a manufacturer and a very good one too. If that is what they used, it’s . good for that company. They doon’t want to keep digging and repairing. I would trust what they use. Yellower, darker, clearer just means different manufacturing. Different company, probably cheaper. May be better. Who knows?.

Martin