Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Self-Burnt CD problem

boblalux

Aug 15, 2016
I have three music systems on which I can also play CD´s: SONY RSX-D55 ; SONY CFD-S01 and PANASONIC RSK-D55.

On only one (SONY CFD-S01) can I play burned CD´s I burnt myself. The others refuse and will only accept factory-produced CD´s! Can someone explain this, and also whether I can do somrething to be able to play the CD´s I burnt myself?

Also, one of the players is in the COLD (5°C) garage, and every 10-20 secs, there is a pause in the music before then continuing. Is this due to the cold?

Bob

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
There could be a few different reasons. Is the CFD-S01 an enhanced player, that can read more formats? Possibly the CDs you're burning aren't a standard CD format? You may be able to read the format/details of the discs in the burning app or some 3rd party app.

Possibly the error rate is high and you should slow down the burn speed. Possibly they're aged and dust on the lens and you could try blowing them out with compressed air. You can use a solvent but you might then need to clean the sled track, sliders and re-grease them.

As far as cold, move it inside and retest. However I would expect that after it is left on for (however long) it will self-heat and be closer to the ambient temperature of the others when first turned on. There's another test to do, leave it on and see if it stops pausing after warmed up.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Burnt cd's are different from original cd's in the way they are produced and some players were never designed to play the "home burnt" versions.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
One other issue is how old they are. Once upon a time ago, people used to say they'll last 50 years. Some types of CDRs I burned back in the day, degraded to an unreadable state in less than 5 years, and I did take precautions to make sure they had no direct sunlight exposure in storage. I don't remember the dye names but the yellow-green dye type seemed to have much shorter storage life than the blue dye type.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Some types of CDRs I burned back in the day, degraded to an unreadable state in less than 5 years
That with the dreaded "buffer underrun"...made way more beer coasters than cd's back then.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Didn't "thumb drives" (memory sticks) replace CD-ROMs and DVDs as re-writable storage devices some time ago? The cost of thumb drives has plummeted recently, 16 Gb drives going for less than five bux.

IIRC, the maximum capacity of a CD is around 700 Mbytes and single-layer DVDs are only 4.7 Gbytes. Why even bother with either one when a whole stack of discs will fit on a 250 Gbyte flash drive?

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Neither the radio in my car nor the DVD player hooked up to my TV have USB ports. I need CD's for the car and DVD's for the TV. Back before I retired, none of the newer computers we were issued at work contained a floppy disk drive. Well, a lot of our RF test equipment did, and dumped the test data onto floppies. Made it difficult to transfer the data from the instruments to the computers. Improvements are great, but sometimes I think change happens too abruptly.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah it's the same old, same old... gotta buy more gear to make new tech happen. I hate to replace things that work unless it's a substantial upgrade, which it is in the case of modern smart TVs. Even if you don't otherwise use the smart features, that almost always means a USB port capable of playing media, not just an (n)GB flash drive but even a ~(n)TB external USB HDD (TV supported storage capacity and filesystem may vary).

Stereos... not so much, I'm not picky about > 3.1 ch sound so I won't be buying a new amp any year soon. Fortunately they have add-on dongles/etc for bluetooth/USB/SD but then not integrated into the stereo remote control. I'm sure there's something my phone could control as far as audio tracks and volume but meh, I'd set up playlists before I fiddled with a phone for audio control.