Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Self-Charging Phone Case

Elizabeth Taylor

Mar 18, 2017
I am curious as to how a self-charging phone case works. I recently got one that runs on a lithium-polymer battery. I am having issues understanding the functions of the circuits attached and how they work. My main questions would be about how it stores power, and how the process of charging an iPhone 6s works.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP.
A phone has an internal lithium battery which requires an external power source to charge it. Can you post a link to this "self-charging phone case"?

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I am curious as to how a self-charging phone case works. I recently got one that runs on a lithium-polymer battery. I am having issues understanding the functions of the circuits attached and how they work. My main questions would be about how it stores power, and how the process of charging an iPhone 6s works.

All I can find is that the extra case is just an external battery.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, one I had simply works like one of those lithium battery powered USB power packs. They act like a charger as long as their is power in the lithium battery.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
It is called a "power bank" and has a 3.8V Lithium rechargeable battery in it. Its 5V USB input has a charger circuit to feed its Lithium battery and its USB output has a circuit to stepup the voltage from its battery to 5V for charging a phone. It also has a circuit to shut it off when its battery voltage gets low.